hey folks ahhm! i have a very big problem in booting my operating system its just it so slow to go to my desktop, hoping for your kindness pls help me..

God bless!!!!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The slow bootup can be due to any of the following reasons:

- Startup items
- Prefetcher information

As you have already tried disabling the startup items, I recommend you remove the prefetch information. I am providing you the detailed information about the prefetcher feature that is available in Windows XP below:

Windows XP Home and Professional monitors the files that are used when the computer starts and when you start applications. By monitoring these files, Windows XP can prefetch them. Prefetching data is the process whereby data that is expected to be requested is read ahead into the cache. Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP Professional and start applications.

Prefetching is further improved if the files are located next to each other on the outer edge of the disk. Windows XP optimizes the location of boot files and applications when the computer is idle. The optimization occurs in the background. After the initial optimization takes place, subsequent optimization occurs, at most, every three days.

Disable the Windows XP Prefetcher

When troubleshooting either Windows or program start-up issues, it might be helpful to disable the prefetcher, because it runs as a background service while other applications are running or loading.

To disable the prefetcher:

Click Start, Run.
Type regedit and click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ SessionManager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters

Double-click the "EnablePrefetcher" value.
Change the Value data to 0 to disable the prefetcher.
Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

The EnablePrefetcher Values are:

0 - no prefetch
1 - prefetch applications only
2 - prefetch boot only
3 - prefetch both applications & boot (default)

However, after using XP some time, the prefetch directory can get full of junk and obsolete links in the Prefetch catalog. Removing the files of Prefetch folder will increase the system performance. You can safely remove these files; any files that are needed will be created again automatically.

If still the issue persists, you may need to check for the viruses.
If it works, please raise my reputations. Thanks.

The slow bootup can be due to any of the following reasons:

- Startup items
- Prefetcher information

and many mor reasons ,like lack of ram, heat ,and viruses we would need complete computer specs to say more on this

As you have already tried disabling the startup items,

and they told you this, when! as it says nothing about it in there post,in allmy years i never heard any suggest disabling prefecth to help quicken startup time,something new or old that i missed, empty mine with atf cleaner but have never had the need to disable it

Everything I have read indicates that the default setting for the Prefetch parameter is optimal for most users. Microsoft says that fiddling with the Prefetch setting in the Registry or the contents of the C:\windows\prefetch or C:\winnt\prefetch folders is COUNTER-productive, and that adding a "/prefetch:1" flag to shortcuts that launch a program will NOT make it load faster. It may even cause a program to crash.
Please read this;
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html

@oA9999
Advising someone to disable/remove or edit "Prefetch" and/or "Superfetch" in most cases causes more harm than good.
Not good advice IMO.

Everything I have read about it (other than this post) is in reference to deleting the contents of the prefetch folder and not about disabling it. Over time the folder can become over-bloated with parts of many, no longer used, programs. Deleting the contents of it and allowing Windows to rewrite a the folder as you use the programs will speed up a computer with low memory and/or disks pace. It would have much less difference to a computer with adequate memory and disk space. But that said it's main task of prefetch is to speed up the loading of programs and to disable it would be totally counterproductive. As caperjack stated, the main reasons for a slow computer are loading of too many programs at boot-up, lack of memory, heat and viruses on the list of possibilities. There is even a great divide as to the value of registry cleaners in speeding up computers.

*Prefetch folder will increase the system performance. You can safely remove these files; any files that are needed will be created again automatically.

I'm sorry. I don't know that actually. 'Coz I know that the files can be created automatically if it is needed..Sorry again..=(

Simplest thing to do to try first is download a copy of Glary utilities. It is free. Use the one click maintenance feature and it will clean up your registry, temp files, and a bunch of other stuff that slows a computer down. After words you can go in the modules section and use the start up manager to disable any programs that start when your pc is turned on. Guaranteed to speed you pc up......unless it is a memory issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.