I can not use Virtual PC because my hardware cmos settings can not turn it on and it is not compatible. Is there a Virtual Drive Box SUN or anything that can use a emulation so I don't have to buy a new mobo?
Any help?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I can not use Virtual PC because my hardware cmos settings can not turn it on and it is not compatible. Is there a Virtual Drive Box SUN or anything that can use a emulation so I don't have to buy a new mobo?
Any help?

Do you mean the Windows 7 XP mode? In order to use that, you need a processor that supports hardware virtualization, your mobo really has little to do with it. There aren't very many out there right now that support this, so you might have trouble without getting a new processor.

So you mean that without a new CPU I can NOT use any V emulation software to do the job?

Do you mean the Windows 7 XP mode? In order to use that, you need a processor that supports hardware virtualization, your mobo really has little to do with it. There aren't very many out there right now that support this, so you might have trouble without getting a new processor.

So you mean that without a new CPU I can NOT use any V emulation software to do the job?

You can use other virtual PC software, I believe. You just won't be able to use Windows 7's virtual PC software since it relies on that processor support for hardware virtualization. In other words no, you will not be able to use XP mode without getting a processor which supports hardware virtualization.

Okay, Thanks
If I update the bios will that update the processor or no buy a new one?
I have so many questions that are answered here, so I ask a lot. Hope you don't mind????

You can use other virtual PC software, I believe. You just won't be able to use Windows 7's virtual PC software since it relies on that processor support for hardware virtualization. In other words no, you will not be able to use XP mode without getting a processor which supports hardware virtualization.

Okay, Thanks
If I update the bios will that update the processor or no buy a new one?
I have so many questions that are answered here, so I ask a lot. Hope you don't mind????

Nope, the BIOS controls the motherboard, mostly. Your chipset AND your BIOS has to support it. Generally though, if you have a chipset which supports it, the BIOS already does.

I can only use Windows 7 but not XPMode. You asked if I was using Virtual PC in Windows XP and the answer is no. I tried the Visualization in Windows XP and the same holds true. I have no AMD-V or INTEL-VT setting in any of my desktops. I have it in my 2 year old Laptop but I can NOT get it to go from VISTA to XP. HP Pavilion's are engineered for VISTA drivers only. I called the HP Support and all of the forums confirmed it so I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate. Thanks for your help, we are on the same page now.

Nope, the BIOS controls the motherboard, mostly. Your chipset AND your BIOS has to support it. Generally though, if you have a chipset which supports it, the BIOS already does.

I can only use Windows 7 but not XPMode. You asked if I was using Virtual PC in Windows XP and the answer is no. I tried the Visualization in Windows XP and the same holds true. I have no AMD-V or INTEL-VT setting in any of my desktops. I have it in my 2 year old Laptop but I can NOT get it to go from VISTA to XP. HP Pavilion's are engineered for VISTA drivers only. I called the HP Support and all of the forums confirmed it so I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate. Thanks for your help, we are on the same page now.

Actually I asked if you meant XP mode on Windows 7, but it's all cleared up now anyway. Make sure to mark the thread as solved if you don't have any more questions!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.