hey all i have an a issue

when My PC works more than 6-24 hours my monitors turns off and nothing responds that it should.
To turn monitor on I have to reset my PC ..But when i do this it damages system files or some other files as well ......

temperature of CPU and other stuff are at medium (around 25-45 C)
I did also switch monitor and graphic cards with my PC ....didn't make any good I have same problems......and sometimes when that happens i hear on headphones some strange sound.....
So PLEASE HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

hey all i have an a issue

when My PC works more than 6-24 hours my monitors turns off and nothing responds that it should.
To turn monitor on I have to reset my PC ..But when i do this it damages system files or some other files as well ......

temperature of CPU and other stuff are at medium (around 25-45 C)
I did also switch monitor and graphic cards with my PC ....didn't make any good I have same problems......and sometimes when that happens i hear on headphones some strange sound.....
So PLEASE HELP!

Hi and welcome to Daniweb,
What is 6-24? 6 hours every 24?
Are you using your machine when the monitor turns off?
Have you checked your settings on monitor shutdown? (Right click your desktop, click "properties", click "screen saver" tab, click "power" in "monitor power", check settings under "turn off monitor"
What other files are damaged when you reboot? Please explain.

Gosh I didn't come across anyone who uses computer for more than 5 hours. Must be the computer overheat. Maybe add a fan and see what happen.

Hi and welcome to Daniweb,
What is 6-24? 6 hours every 24?
Are you using your machine when the monitor turns off?
Have you checked your settings on monitor shutdown? (Right click your desktop, click "properties", click "screen saver" tab, click "power" in "monitor power", check settings under "turn off monitor"
What other files are damaged when you reboot? Please explain.

My PC works from 6 to 24 hours a day ...sometimes.

"Have you checked your settings on monitor shutdown? (Right click your desktop, click "properties", click "screen saver" tab, click "power" in "monitor power", check settings under "turn off monitor"

All is on NEVER so that is out .

Files are damaged like :
System32.dll
CskDsk.exe
And others...i see around 220+ errors when he checks so i can't tell you cuz i don't know ...also sometimes it's boot.dll or exe is damaged sometimes.

"Gosh I didn't come across anyone who uses computer for more than 5 hours. Must be the computer overheat. Maybe add a fan and see what happen."

I did add 2 to PC plus a ventilator ...still happen

OK first up 6 to 24 hours a day should not make any difference to a good machine with good cooling. A lot of people never turn their machine off and it would run for years.

Files are damaged like : System32.dll, CskDsk.exe
And others...i see around 220+ errors when he checks so i can't tell you cuz i don't know ...also sometimes it's boot.dll or exe is damaged sometimes.

I don't understand! Where do you see these errors and how do you fix them so that your machine will run again?
Have you run any of :- chkdsk, sfc, system restore?
How log has this been happening?
Have you downloaded, installed or uninstalled anything recently?
Please supply information about your machine and anything further you can think of about your problem.

"Where do you see these errors and how do you fix them so that your machine will run again?"

While PC do check disk after this happens ........you know like you restart PC on button it will trigger auto Check disc.
Thou it usually is deleting, correcting , and sorting indexes ..........sometimes even totally delete them..
To fix this sometimes i was forced to Reinstall System ....sometimes i just insert XP CD and fix some boot thing or just do Chkdsk and fix it .

"Have you run any of :- chkdsk, sfc, system restore?"

I do that 3 times a week (chkdsk, sfc)
I can use system restore ...just to back up old files

"How long* has this been happening?"

Over a year... and 6 months

Have you downloaded, installed or uninstalled anything recently?

I download lots of stuff each day...

Configuration of my PC:
Mainboard : Unspecified VT8366-8233
Chipset : VIA KT266/333
Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 1466 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (2 x 256 DDR-SDRAM )
Hard Disk : MAXTOR (80 GB)
Monitor Type : Philips PHILIPS 107E6 - 15 inches+
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

Temperatures after 2 hours of work :
Processor Temperature : 42 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 28 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 4 °C
ACPI Thermal Zone : 28 °C
Hard Disk Temperature MAXTOR STM3802110A : 33 °C

Total time my PC is on :

Up Time : 82099 sec (0 days, 22 hours, 48 min, 19 sec)

Total Blue Screens: 0

Over a year... and 6 months !!
i would test power supply first ,then i would test ram , for ram i use memtest86 bootable cd ,and run it over night ,for psu i use a psu tester i own,or use a newer known good psu

how can i test power supply?
Consigning ram i inserted new 256MB. so you did see in post before i have 2x 256MB
PSU is ok, i even did this form this site :
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/729606/how_to_test_your_computers_power_supply_psu/

I have also did remove old one ...so i got again same thing....monitor is doing same thing .......

that test is to see if psu powers,yours does,as it runs 6-24 hrs 'you need to have it checked to make sure its putting out correct voltage and not heating up,or has bad capasators or is shorting out ,some of what can be tested with a cpu tester.and just to take ram out is not enough ,your computer is running for hours before it shuts down,thats why i suggested memtest86,run it for hrs over night,there comes a time when you have to give in and take computer to pro repair shop ,that time is when you don't have resorces to test all possiable hardware problems

cpu tester i don't have .......thou i wish i have....
I don't have Pro Repair shop or anything like that.....
I get suggestions to Throw this PC And buy new one......just it will never happen.... Can you give me some freeware site for cpu tester?

Hi,
For a CPU teater go here,
http://majorgeeks.com/download273.html
For the memory tester go here...
http://www.memtest86.com/
Click "Free download"
and select "ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip)"
Burn a CD and boot machine with it.
If these do not find your problem, buy a new power unit (not expensive) and try that.
If you can afford a new computer, you will be much better off...go for it.
Get a machine suited to what you use a computer for, don't get a top of the range gaming machine if you don't use it for gaming etc.

For Mem tester i need CD rofl ......2 for power supply do i need to have same power in volts or more?
And i use 75% of time for games :D
I will reply if anything is good or bad ..thx for answer!

For Mem tester i need CD rofl ,
,don't you have a cd burner in your computer

Yes i have burner ....but now i don't have cd rofl

Yes i have burner ....but now i don't have cd rofl

at about 40 cents each shouldn't be hard to get your hands on one

Well here is less than 40 cent is around 15 or something lol

Well here is less than 40 cent is around 15 or something lol

did you come here for help or just make chat/jokes

Sorry i need help i will reply after CPU TEST and other........sorry again :D

Sorry i need help i will reply after CPU TEST and other........sorry again :D

i know , i just think memtest it best test to start with

I think that Vladan899 likes you caperjack and just wants to chat to you.. LOL

I have done CPU test and it haven't found any errors or anything .....thou it was not full version i did try.......it was lime edition .........for memtest tomorrow i will test it .........

I have wasted 10 CD's on memtest86 ....how to make it boot ?

I have wasted 10 CD's on memtest86 ....how to make it boot ?

should have came back and asked after 2 or 3 ,did you download the iso file of memtest .if not you should ,and also download isoburn too to burn the iso to disk ,just simply click on the iso file and isoburn will burn it if you set isoburn as default for iso file

isoburn download
http://www.brothersoft.com/d.php?soft_id=64400&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusfiles.brothersoft.com%2Fdvd_video%2Fdvd_burner%2Fisoburn.zip

Thanks......

I have done all this and it sill have no errors.........so main thing ...how to see about power supply?

Hi Guys am back ....I was able to found problem
I did all those testing and I think i did found a BUG that was Bugging me for that time.
I was certain that my HDD was dying and somehow i know.
I did reinstall system 6 times today due to black screen thingy and files damages, 51% of time where i getting Blue screen of Death cuz some of system32/config files where corrupted or damaged\missing.

So all i did was:

Check motherboard memory Test : passed test (15 tests all passed = no errors)
Check RAM memory Test : passed test (no errors founded)
Check CPU memory Test : passed test (no errors founded)
Check Graphic card memory : passed test (no errors founded)

Only i am still not sure it is HDD or something that i did miss.
I did test power supply it was ok ...I think

When i did switch my HDD with other newer (same suppler) ..
Windows did start as usual and all that is still okay.

So only thing i can do is to wait on this HDD to see will happen again.
If happen again HDD was not the issue ....I am still testing what is problem ....i will keep you guys a update ...
Thanks for not closing this Thread and Thanks for reading

With regards Vladan899

Hi Guys am back ....I was able to found problem
I did all those testing and I think i did found a BUG that was Bugging me for that time.
I was certain that my HDD was dying and somehow i know.
I did reinstall system 6 times today due to black screen thingy and files damages, 51% of time where i getting Blue screen of Death cuz some of system32/config files where corrupted or damaged\missing.

So all i did was:

Check motherboard memory Test : passed test (15 tests all passed = no errors)
Check RAM memory Test : passed test (no errors founded)
Check CPU memory Test : passed test (no errors founded)
Check Graphic card memory : passed test (no errors founded)

Only i am still not sure it is HDD or something that i did miss.
I did test power supply it was ok ...I think

When i did switch my HDD with other newer (same suppler) ..
Windows did start as usual and all that is still okay.

So only thing i can do is to wait on this HDD to see will happen again.
If happen again HDD was not the issue ....I am still testing what is problem ....i will keep you guys a update ...
Thanks for not closing this Thread and Thanks for reading

With regards Vladan899

good luck with new hard drive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.