My whole work life is on my flash drive. I just got a new Dell with Windows 7 and it won't allow me to get to the encrypted vault to enter my password on my flashdrive. I can't get to anything. The troubleshoot program doesn't help. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

My whole work life is on my flash drive. I just got a new Dell with Windows 7 and it won't allow me to get to the encrypted vault to enter my password on my flashdrive. I can't get to anything. The troubleshoot program doesn't help. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Suggestion 1: If your data is that essential, back it up. I can't even tell you how many times people have come to me after the flash drive on which they stored EVERYTHING as a primary (a dumb thing to do to begin with. Flash drives are short lived) with no backup went dead, and then got mad at me when I told them they were f'd and needed to redo everything. So suggestion 1 is back up your freaking data. Seriously. It's not that hard.

Suggestion 2: Give us some more details. What happens when you try to enter the password? Does it give you an error?

found this disclaimer on there website .by chance is your new laptop running win7 64 bit , my opinion is only save place for lifes' work in on a well burnt DVD/CD and stored safely away

Please note: Security software only compatible with 32-bit versions of Microsoft® Windows®.
DISCLAIMER:
Security safeguards, by their nature, are capable of circumvention. Lexar does not guarantee data will be 100% secure from unauthorized access, alteration, or destruction.

Suggestion 1: If your data is that essential, back it up. I can't even tell you how many times people have come to me after the flash drive on which they stored EVERYTHING as a primary (a dumb thing to do to begin with. Flash drives are short lived) with no backup went dead, and then got mad at me when I told them they were f'd and needed to redo everything. So suggestion 1 is back up your freaking data. Seriously. It's not that hard.

Suggestion 2: Give us some more details. What happens when you try to enter the password? Does it give you an error?

Thank you. I certainly do have a back up. My concern is that this flashdrive is no longer accessible (which as a professor I prefer to use the encrypted files with a password due to sensitive materials). When in W7, the encrypted button is now "off" and I am not able to put in a password. I see the files are there...just no longer accessible through Windows 7. I have a "netbook" with XP. It opens fine there, but I bought this new Dell as my home base computer. It has this new Windows 7 which I am finding has a lot of issues with compatibility. This is one such issue.

found this disclaimer on there website .by chance is your new laptop running win7 64 bit
Please note: Security software only compatible with 32-bit versions of Microsoft® Windows®.
DISCLAIMER:
Security safeguards, by their nature, are capable of circumvention. Lexar does not guarantee data will be 100% secure from unauthorized , alteration, or destruction.

Yes, Windows 7 64 bit

Yes, Windows 7 64 bit

so, you have the answer to your problem ,you need to take it back to other computer and remove the password or maybe even the software ,you need software that is 64 bit compatible

so, you have the answer to your problem ,you need to take it back to other computer and remove the password or maybe even the software ,you need software that is 64 bit compatible

I appreciate your help in discovering the problem. I will just have to start searching for a new flashdrive that has the security but is also 64 bit compatible. Thank you for helping me understand the issue a little bit more. :)

Same problem. I contacted Lexar and they were singularly unhelpful. Basically said that they cannot update their Secure software for x64 !!

That means that I will not be buying their overpriced drives in future just to be told they do not intend to support the software for which they charged me a premium. It's a shame because the secure vault is really neat.

And in fact, after they way they responded I think I will purchase other makes in future. They also told me there was no way of removing the secure vault unless from the drive. I am going to try to remove it using Easeus or diskpart

funny, Lexar II and Windows 7 have issue with 32bit too! Blue screen type...no solution avaiable other than fine another encryption type.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.