Ok I am building a computer and it appears I have everythng plugged in ok and then when I go to turn the power on, it only stays on for about 30 seconds and then turns off. What would I be doing wrong? Is there something I need to do to my new motherboard before I power it on?

Recommended Answers

All 53 Replies

System specifications would be nice. Does it blue screen, or just shut off?
Have you seated the heat sink correctly onto the processor and used the correct amount of thermal interface material between the two?

Ok I have a Thermaltake Soprano RS case, an Intel Pentium D 2.80 GHz LGA 775, 2GB of Corsair Gaming Memory Ram, 2 Harddrives, a Thermaltake V1 CPU cooler, an Nvidia 9600GT, a 450 watt power supply, and an Nvidia nForce 730i Evga motherboard

Does it blue screen, or just shut off?
Have you seated the heat sink correctly onto the processor and used the correct amount of thermal interface material between the two?

?
What are the Memory ratings/speeds?

It just turns off, and I just got a new CPU cooler and it didn't come with thermal compound, but I haad put some thermal compund on my CPU on my other motherboard not to long ago. Do I need to clear the CMOS? Because I just installed this motherboard.

You need to replace the thermal compound once used. You probably do not have correct contact and the processor is overheating and shutting down. The bios has a thermal shutdown setting that will turn the system off if the processor gets too hot.
Is the Memory 1 stick or two? What speed is it?
Are you using the same hard drives with an existing operating system on it? You will need to do a repair install if so. A fresh install is recommended though.
You should list what is new and what you are using from the last build.

What brand/model is the power supply?

The memory I'm using is DDR2 memory at 800Hz, and the things I am using from my last setup are my 2 hdd's 2 hard drives, 1 floppy disk drive, and my Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz CPU, but if my CPU worked on my last setup does that mean it would still work on this one even if I didn't change the thermal compound?

The memory is 1 stick DDR2 at 800MHz, and I have not changed the thermal compund since my last setup, but if my CPU worked on my last setup, shouldn't it still work on this one? It was only 2 days ago my last setup was still working. My power supply is 450 watts, and it is a BFG Tech GS Series ATX 12V 2.2 and the part number or model number I guess is BFGR450WGSPSU

That processor should work with any board of the same socket, as long as the bios recognises it.
It is good practice to replace the TIM every time one removes the heat sink. Once you have installed the heat sink, the TIM is spread thin as the two components come together. If you then pull them apart, the next time you put it together, there is not quite enough there.
Are you able to boot into the BIOS and then into the pc health section to see what the cpu temp is?

Ok so a screen came up on my PC really fast and I kinda read some of it and it said something like Warning CPU has be changed please change the settings in the CMOS or something like that, that's all I could read before my PC turned off. So that's all I've seen on my PC screen so far

Do you know how to boot into the bios? Try tapping the delete key whilst the pc is booting. Change the settings to the Optimise setting and save and exit.

Do you know how to boot into the bios? Try tapping the delete key whilst the pc is booting. Change the settings to the Optimise setting and save and exit.

I can go into he Bios but the PC turns off to fast for me to do anything

What else can I try to do to get it to work? Do you think you would wanna help me live? Like on Blogtv or something?

Try resetting the bios by moving the jumper or by removing the motherboard battery for 5 minutes.
Make sure all power is off to the pc and that you hold part of the chassis with one hand whilst you do the jumper/battery with the other.
Not too keen on IM's.

Try resetting the bios by moving the jumper or by removing the motherboard battery for 5 minutes.
Make sure all power is off to the pc and that you hold part of the chassis with one hand whilst you do the jumper/battery with the other.
Not too keen on IM's.

Will doing this make the power stay on fo more than 30 seconds?

It's the only thing I can think of that will maybe work.

It's the only thing I can think of that will maybe work.

Is the motherboard battery the same thing as the CMOS battery?

One and the same :).

Can you give any more info on your problem! i.e. are all the parts new?
Do you get the POST screen? or do you just get fans before it shuts down? etc

I get a screen that says my CPU has changed please change settings in the CMOS settings.

Hi. Read the whole thread as the info has already been given.

I remember having a similar problem with a motherboard and the first batch of dual core celeron processors(had to flash bios for correct processor support)
Sounds like the mobo might not be fully compatible with processor
If you can access the bios screen(s) is the correct processor being reported??

I remember having a similar problem with a motherboard and the first batch of dual core celeron processors(had to flash bios for correct processor support)
Sounds like the mobo might not be fully compatible with processor
If you can access the bios screen(s) is the correct processor being reported??

The PC shuts off before I can get to the BIOS screen

Have you tried removing the battery yet?

Have you tried removing the battery yet?

The battery was kinda too hard for me to remove

well, you have to try to remove the battery and fix it once again. though seems too simple, perhaps this will really solve your problem. just give it a try, and lets see what will happen next.

well, you have to try to remove the battery and fix it once again. though seems too simple, perhaps this will really solve your problem. just give it a try, and lets see what will happen next.

could I remove it with a knife? my fingernails aren't long enough to get it out

Will putting on thermal compound fix the problem? I've had thermal compound put on my CPU before, but not in a long time. Also how do I upgrade the bios if I can't boot the computer up at all?

could I remove it with a knife? my fingernails aren't long enough to get it out

They are generally held in place with a spring clip. All you have to do is move the spring clip and the battery comes out easy. Apparently there is a cmos clear button on the motherboard. There is a large black heatsink in the centre of the board and just to the left of that and above the two small motherboard slots. The reset button is there.

Will putting on thermal compound fix the problem? I've had thermal compound put on my CPU before, but not in a long time. Also how do I upgrade the bios if I can't boot the computer up at all?

You have no choice but to put thermal compound on. If you do not, you will destroy your processor. Period.

Check the speed of the mother board. Even though it may say it can run at 2.5 ghz, it can only run about 2.3 ghz. That would be the first thing I would check.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.