They are generally held in place with a spring clip. All you have to do is move the spring clip and the battery comes out easy. Apparently there is a cmos clear button on the motherboard. There is a large black heatsink in the centre of the board and just to the left of that and above the two small motherboard slots. The reset button is there.

You have no choice but to put thermal compound on. If you do not, you will destroy your processor. Period.

So do I just need to push the clear cmos button?

Ok I removed the CMOS for 5 minutes and I'm still getting a CMOS checksum error, how do I determine if my CPU is overheating to fast and causing the system to shut down?

Check the speed of the mother board. Even though it may say it can run at 2.5 ghz, it can only run about 2.3 ghz. That would be the first thing I would check.

The motherboard does not have a speed. They have a chip that supports 'X' FSB speeds built into a processor.
In this case it supports an FSB speed of 1333Mhz.

Ok I removed the CMOS for 5 minutes and I'm still getting a CMOS checksum error, how do I determine if my CPU is overheating to fast and causing the system to shut down?

If you have little or no TIM on the IHS, then you can guarantee it is getting too hot. Intel's cook even when they are being cooled correctly :).

They are generally held in place with a spring clip. All you have to do is move the spring clip and the battery comes out easy. Apparently there is a cmos clear button on the motherboard. There is a large black heatsink in the centre of the board and just to the left of that and above the two small motherboard slots. The reset button is there.

You have no choice but to put thermal compound on. If you do not, you will destroy your processor. Period.

Ok here is the video of my motherboard in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWLFM3T3Vs4

Do you know the exact model of the processor? It could be that the bios is not recognising it correctly.

If you have little or no TIM on the IHS, then you can guarantee it is getting too hot. Intel's cook even when they are being cooled correctly :).

I will have the some thermal compound in a few hours when my friend gets home from work, then I will post here again and tell you if my motherboard works or not.

Do you know the exact model of the processor? It could be that the bios is not recognising it correctly.

Just in case you missed the question :)

do you know the exact model of the processor? It could be that the bios is not recognising it correctly.

you are a pc life saver crunchie! I installed my new thermal compound and my pc has been on for 2 minutes now! Sorry for the caps lock, i'm just really excited now!

No worries :). Lesson learned?

No worries :). Lesson learned?

Well, now whenever I try to install Windows XP, I get to 100% where it has to restart to finish installing, then when it restarts I get a disk read error

Sounds like the hard drive that you are installing to might have a problem.
There are utilities for checking them that are made by the particular HD manufacturers.
I would advise to download the one to suit your HD's and run the utility.

I keep getting a blue screen of death now

You need to find the shutdown error.

Go to system properties (right click MyComputer > properties) > Advanced tab > under startup and recovery click settings > under System failure make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked AND that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked. Then under *write debugging info* select (none) > Click "OK" and reboot.

If you crash again, write down the entire STOP message and post it here.

You need to find the shutdown error.

Go to system properties (right click MyComputer > properties) > Advanced tab > under startup and recovery click settings > under System failure make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked AND that "Automatically restart" is UNchecked. Then under *write debugging info* select (none) > Click "OK" and reboot.

If you crash again, write down the entire STOP message and post it here.

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8054BFCB, 0xBAD37898, 0xBAD37954)

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8054BFCB, 0xBAD37898, 0xBAD37954)

I ran a Google search but nothing came up. Breaking it down though, it seems that it is a driver problem.
Have you installed all the motherboard drivers that came with the EVGA?
Can you access the event log to see what might be causing this?

I ran a Google search but nothing came up. Breaking it down though, it seems that it is a driver problem.

Anpippin, please check with your motherboard's drivers.. let me know if you dont find any error there.

How do I install Windows 7 if I have Windows XP? It says it's incompatible with my version of Windows, and I've tried restarting my computer and booting into the cd but that didn't do anything.

Are you doing just the upgrade, or a full install?
Have you changed the boot order in the bios? I generally have the CD as first boot and then disable the rest.

Are you doing just the upgrade, or a full install?
Have you changed the boot order in the bios? I generally have the CD as first boot and then disable the rest.

Do you know what the boot image of the Windows 7 disc is? Is it bootfix.bin or etfsboot.com? Because I tried putting etfsboot as the boot image and then it gave me a disc not bootable error code 5

No idea. I thought you were trying to install it, not create a disc?

No idea. I thought you were trying to install it, not create a disc?

Do you think if I download the 90 day trial version of Windows 7 Enterprise I'll be able to enter my serial code in on that? I have an official legit Windows 7 Enterprise key.

I reckon it would have something built-in to prevent that, but you could try it.

Try another power supply unit. It happen to me once and now it work fine after changing the power supply unit or many get a higher wattage power unit.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.