I have both Office 2003 and Office 2007 on my computer. I want Excel and Word 2003 to be the default programs to open files when I double click on them from e-mails etc. Somehow, and I don't know what I did to accomplish it, I got Word 2003 as the default program. I tried all sorts of things to no avail to make Excel 2003 the default program, but no luck. I've tried the normal "open with" assignment, but Excel 2003 cannot be brought into the Open With Default Program List. What am I doing wrong? Any ideas on how to force this to happen? Before my HD crashed, Excel 2003 was the default program, but I set that up with help more than 2 years ago and I cannot remember what was done.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Have you tried right clicking on an excel document, then select properties and under the general tab you should see Opens With.. and a button next to that which says Change.

Click that button, browse to the excel 03 exe file and selct it as the program to open such documents. That should set excel 03 as the default program for those types of documents.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the "Open With" thing does not work under these conditions. I was able to solve it, however, by going in and changing the "Open" condition by using the following:
1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
The first command drops Excel 2007 as the boss. The second command, when I add in the complete path to my Excel.exe 2003 file, sets Excel 2003 as the boss.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.