Okay, I am running Windows XP, on a Dell Mini Laptop. Thing sucks for hardware, but that's beside the point. Okay, for the past week, I've been having issues with the laptop's memory. If I have a few windows open of any program, then close out, it seems to not close the memory the program was using, because after a few programs are running, such as Python, Firefox, and iTunes (pretty much all I use), it starts telling me that I'm out of memory. So last night, I was using the laptop, and it had been on practically all day, and I had been opening and closing several applications, so the memory was being used up a lot. At the end of the night, all I had remaining was Internet Explorer. I was on GMail, and it decided to close itself. >.< I tried opening it back up, it kept saying it was out of memory. I gave up, turned it off, and put it away for the night. This morning, I tried booting it, and it froze at the BIOS screen, about 2/3's of the way through loading. So I rebooted, and it went through the BIOS, but it was stuck at a black screen, with a flashing underscore. It stayed there until I ctrl-alt-del. It rebooted, and did the same. I have DSL on a flash drive, but I can't seem to get it to boot from it. Anyways, does anyone have any idea what I can do for this? If not, I'd at least like to figure out how to get Damn Small Linux running from the flash drive so I can transfer all my files to a different computer. I'm not a complete noob at linux, but can't get it booted. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,
Try going to link in my signature and download UBCD and get the program to create a boot for your flash drive and see how that works for you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.