I have a startup file called WebCheck that is classified as "secret". It is a delayed load startup.
Not sure what that means.
What is it?
I used WinPatrol to identify it and when I try to get rid of it...WinPatrol warns me that it could be a default setting for Windows to operate properly. It advises against removing it.

Can someone corroborate this?

cadmanof50s

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

As the information below shows, it could be anything. Download, update and run Malwarebytes. If it is something it should not be, Malwarebytes will identify it for you.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Copied from:-
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/webcheck.dll.html
"webcheck.dll" is used for web site monitoring by the Internet Explorer application.
Note however that there are some worms and viruses which replace webcheck.dll with a malware version.
Get more detailed information about webcheck.dll and all other running background processes with Security Task Manager.
Note: Any malware can be named anything - so you should check where the files of the running processes are located on your disk. If a "non-Microsoft" .exe file is located in the C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32 folder, then there is a high risk for a virus, spyware, trojan or worm infection! Check it out!

Thanks Bob.

I do use MalwareBytes (regularly) it hasn't cmplained about the file. But there is something suspecious about this file. I thought I would take the gamble and remove it....so far evrything is still working ok..even after a reboot..

I am hoping it will solve my other problem with Internet Browers not beling able to connect after a few hours of use. Here's hoping!.

Thanks again.

Vic
a.k.a cadmanof50s

Hi again,
No problems, I hope everything goes well for you, if so please mark this thread as solved if not please post back with some details.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.