Can someone please help me out? I have been having issues with my computer. My computer has been freezing up everytime a do an McAfee anti-virus scan. I also tried to do a ESet.com virus scan, but it freezes up at the same location:

C:\Driver\audio\R186858\st645866.dll

I already tried to uninstall McAfee and re-install and it does the same thing. It sometimes freezes when I'm online. I have already done a diagonostic scan on hard drive and memory and it seemed to pass everything on there.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should do?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Some anti virus detect some files as 'false'!
Have you tried any other anti virus? Microsoft security essentials or AVast? (both free).
If you get the same file jaming it try googling the name of that .dll file. that may give further info.
Try renaming that file (once you know what it does via google to) an .old file and see if you get the same result.
Finally if computers get too hot they sieze up to protect themselves and we think it is frozen. Unlikely to do this always a the same place though.

BOL
M

Okay I tried the Avast scan and it stopped too not on the same exact file, but right near the other file location. I tried the MBA-Malware and it froze up near the same location. I tried the atf-cleaner and it did its thing fine.

I tried googling those locations, but nothing really comes back. I know that it is a part of my Sigmatel audio driver. I have received an error message before, but the audio still works fine. I was able to scan back then too.

I this all started to happen once I viewed a free movie on-line, and then I started to get all of the pop-up messages.

I haven't tried to change the name of the file. How will that help out?

I had the same problem, but after i reinstalled windows, i had no problem

have you tried a good cleanup job.
Microsoft security essentials (download free) or advanced system care 3 from iOBIT (DOWNLOAD FREE) THESE WILL DETECT MANY HORRORS OF VIRUS OR MALWARE;

OOPS SORRY ABOUT The CAPS LOCK!
m

If it's a driver problem, then try updating it or reinstalling it.

Hi,
I have pasted some information here and the link for Avira boot scan. Doing a scan from boot stops the viruses from hiding in windows files.
Another boot disk to check for errors and viruses is UBCD, check my signature for link. Some of the programs included in UBCD are...
Hardware Tests
* MemTest-86 v3.5 (for testing system RAM)
* NTFS for DOS (for testing NTFS hard drives)
* Gabriel Topala’s System Info for Windows (for verifying hardware)
* Western Digital WinDlg (for hard drive testing)
* AusLogics Disk Defrag (for defragmenting hard drives)
* NicSpeed (for testing Network Interface Card speed)
Software Tests
* Avira Anti-Virus Scanner (with definitions current to December 18, 2009)
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Scanner (with definitions current to December 20, 2009)
* McAfee Stinger Anti-Virus Scanner (with definitions current to November 23, 2009)

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Avira AntiVir Rescue System

Avira AntiVir Rescue System is a Linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to:
repair a damaged system,
rescue data,
scan the system for virus infections.
Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer.

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.