I just recieved a brand new XP SP1 laptop. Its a Dell Latitude D800.. and its really sexy ;-)

I'm connected to a WiFi network, and I'm having the weirdest problem. It seems that all the images that I see are severly pixelated. Like, the quality is very low, that I'm noticing artificats in the images. For example, the techtalkforums.com logo is very rough around the edges.

I'm going to connect this to a wired connection and see if thats the problem, but any suggestions until then?

Paladine commented: Always helpful! +36

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It seems that all the images that I see are severly pixelated. Like, the quality is very low, that I'm noticing artificats in the images. For example, the techtalkforums.com logo is very rough around the edges.

Does the display resolution match the LCD? For example, graphics on a desktop set for 800x600 resolution will look really poor on an LC display that's a fixed 1024x768 or 1280x1024 pixels. Text might look OK under XP due to ClearType anti-aliasing, but graphic images would look really bad due to pixel mismatch.

Yeah, actually, when you try to change the resolution it warns you about non-native resolution.

This is a 15.4" Widescreen monitor, currently running at 1920x1200.

Interesting enough, its ONLY on images in Internet Explorer. Even text inside of images looks pixelated and rough. Text not in images look fine. This is really annoying..!

Upon some research, this issue is caused because the laptop is using 120dpi fonts - not the normal size. This is because the screen resolution is so high, that anything smaller, and you would go blind ;-).

The fix is to change a value in the registry. If you are experiencing this issue, just copy/paste the text below into notepad, and then save it as a .reg file. To save it as a .reg file, put the file name as whatever.reg, and change the type to "All Files".

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"UseHR"=dword:00000000

I knew I'd seen that problem before, and only on a laptop. :)

Glad to hear it's fixed.

Upon some research, this issue is caused because the laptop is using 120dpi fonts - not the normal size. This is because the screen resolution is so high, that anything smaller, and you would go blind ;-). ..... The fix is to change a value in the registry. -snip--

Yippee! Thanks for the bit of info. This has been driving me crazy with a coworker's laptop for the last hour. Your registry addition took care of it. Thanks for the info! I joined just to post this!

Jen

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.