I use xp pro. Idistribute an educational PDF with sound embedded. Some recipients tell me they can't get any sound. They click onthe links on various pages of the document and nothing happens. Sometimes I get sound and sometimes I do not even on my own PC. I am at my wit's end. I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Frank

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What KIND of sound is embedded?

If they don't have the player or a plugin for that kind of sound, it won't play.

Also, they need to check their sound mixer settings. The slider for that kind of sound may be set to zero.

Thanks for reply.

they are mp3.

I ask if they get other sound and they respond YES so settings are OK.

As far as having audio programs. It happens to me sometimes and I have the programs to play the audio that is what kills me.

thanks again, Frank

What PDF reader are you/they using?

Also, to me, hearing the words "PDF" and "sound" together just don't mix well. It sounds like your educational material may do better on a website rather than a PDF file.

What PDF reader are you/they using?

Also, to me, hearing the words "PDF" and "sound" together just don't mix well. It sounds like your educational material may do better on a website rather than a PDF file.

I used acrobat 8. I don't know what they use to read. The reaosn for PDf is for it to appear like a printed page, and also for them to be able to print. It works fine when it works which is more common. Just this once in a while glitch.

I wish I could help more but I don't have much experience with embedding sound in PDF files.

One thing you could do is setup some sort of notifier so that when they click on the sound it displays an icon or something changes color. If it displays the correct thing when the button is clicked but no sound comes out then you know the document is probably working properly and that it may have more to do with their audio mixer settings on their computer.

One other thing you could do is download and install all the top 5-10 PDF readers and see how the document performs in them. For example: Adobe Reader (not Adobe Acrobat), Foxit Reader, Sumantra PDF Viewer, PDF X-Change Viewer, etc. Once you know which ones work and which ones don't, you could include a page in the document suggesting which PDF Reader(s) to use.

Thanks, that idea of testing other readers sounds good.

I wish I could help more but I don't have much experience with embedding sound in PDF files.

One thing you could do is setup some sort of notifier so that when they click on the sound it displays an icon or something changes color. If it displays the correct thing when the button is clicked but no sound comes out then you know the document is probably working properly and that it may have more to do with their audio mixer settings on their computer.

One other thing you could do is download and install all the top 5-10 PDF readers and see how the document performs in them. For example: Adobe Reader (not Adobe Acrobat), Foxit Reader, Sumantra PDF Viewer, PDF X-Change Viewer, etc. Once you know which ones work and which ones don't, you could include a page in the document suggesting which PDF Reader(s) to use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.