Setup: Sony Vaio laptop (was expensive) Vista Business with SP1

Saga - long and problematic battle with Vista (I am not a fan of this OS)

Problem - Windows update isn't working and I can't seem to get it to work. Error code is 80070424 and I think it might be as previously (and to solve other problems) I have switched off a number of services (on advice) to get the laptop to work with some semblance of speed and stability.

Possibly useful (?) - Although SP1 is fully installed - when I tried to install SP2 (and run the MS SP2 readiness tool) I am advised that SP! needs to be installed first (- but it is)!

My IT support (one overstrectched chap in my part of UCL) advises me to simply upgrade to Wondows 7 - but I'd like to see if I can get Vista to update and then (big maybe) it might work?

Thanks
Andrew

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Go to Start>>Run
Type regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
Click OK
It should work after this.

Thanks. I'm afraid it didn't work.

I ran the command and received the following:

'The module "wuaueng.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005'

It suggests I search online for information on this error code. I'll have a look, but will see what you can advise.

Thanks again

Andrew

PS - I have looked online and it seems the code refers to access issues. I have done a check and it looks like I have full access rights (looged in as I am) as there is no other person that has set my computer up to have more access rights than me. There is an adminitrator group listed - but it has no different access than when I'm logged in. I wouldn't know how to log in as an administrator??

Go to Start>>Run
Type regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
Click OK
It should work after this.

I wouldn't know how to log in as an administrator!!!!!!!boot laptop ,hold in hit f8 key ,boot to safe mode ,see if admin acct was setup there .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.