This is the strangest thing I have seen. Computer running Vista 32, Office 07. User reported strange printing. Some PDF's would print, others not, some Excel files would print, others not. Same for Powerpoint files. This computer prints wirelessly to a Ricoh network printer on a domain. Throws an error "Your file could not be printed due to an error on \\{path}. There are several possible reasons:
- There may not be enough memory
- If you use a network for printing, there may be a problem with the network connection or printer driver
- There may be loose cables.

This is an HP laptop with 4GB of Ram. Some large files would print, while other simple, small files would not. Tried Ethernet with the same result. Tried deleting and reinstalling the printer. Also downloaded the the latest driver and installed. Now the only thing that wont print is some Excel files, indicating it was the driver. However no one else in the office has this problem. If I copy the contents of the spreadsheet to a new sheet and print the new sheet, it prints fine.
What's even stranger is that it throws the error even if I only do a print preview or try to change the layout from landscape to portrait. This suggests to me it's some kind of Office issue?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

It may be that I am teaching egg sucking, but if the only program causing the problem now is excel... have you by chance set the print area in excel to be outside the printable area or vice versa? Sorry if this is too obvious but I often forget it!
M

This is the strangest thing I have seen. Computer running Vista 32, Office 07. User reported strange printing. Some PDF's would print, others not, some Excel files would print, others not. Same for Powerpoint files. This computer prints wirelessly to a Ricoh network printer on a domain. Throws an error "Your file could not be printed due to an error on \\{path}. There are several possible reasons:
- There may not be enough memory
- If you use a network for printing, there may be a problem with the network connection or printer driver
- There may be loose cables.

This is an HP laptop with 4GB of Ram. Some large files would print, while other simple, small files would not. Tried Ethernet with the same result. Tried deleting and reinstalling the printer. Also downloaded the the latest driver and installed. Now the only thing that wont print is some Excel files, indicating it was the driver. However no one else in the office has this problem. If I copy the contents of the spreadsheet to a new sheet and print the new sheet, it prints fine.
What's even stranger is that it throws the error even if I only do a print preview or try to change the layout from landscape to portrait. This suggests to me it's some kind of Office issue?

The problem is not with MSOffice, the default Ricoh driver does not render spreadsheets or pdf files correctly - go to the Ricoh site and download the PS or PCL driver for your model printer - this will correct your problem.

Excel worksheets can get corrupt or damaged at any point of time. Just imagine working on important financial figures and power goes off. And when power comes back, you cannot access your worksheet or the excel file fails to open. Now what to do?

sounds like a different thread but and a big but is that a very long time ago I learnt the hard way that backup is important. A simple maxim to remember is 'how much work am I prepared to redo since the last backup / saving'. battery backups can help re power failure but a regular and repeated practice to save and back up will save a lot of heart ache!
M

The problem is not with MSOffice, the default Ricoh driver does not render spreadsheets or pdf files correctly - go to the Ricoh site and download the PS or PCL driver for your model printer - this will correct your problem.

We are not using the default Ricoh driver. We are using the RPCS driver which is what all the computers on the network use, and which has worked without a problem for 6 months.

Excel worksheets can get corrupt or damaged at any point of time. Just imagine working on important financial figures and power goes off. And when power comes back, you cannot access your worksheet or the excel file fails to open. Now what to do?

This spreadsheet does not appear to be damaged. It prints fine from other computers.

sounds like a different thread but and a big but is that a very long time ago I learnt the hard way that backup is important. A simple maxim to remember is 'how much work am I prepared to redo since the last backup / saving'. battery backups can help re power failure but a regular and repeated practice to save and back up will save a lot of heart ache!
M

Not worried about backups. This spreadsheet was sent by someone else. They've resent it and I've tried printing it on other computers.

Before printing excel files follow this procedure: Go to menu command File then Print then open Printer Properties. Choose Layout Option, there select the "Fit to Page" options and this will do the trick.

I had the same problem and it was making me very nervous then i tried this and it work.

All the best from Kosovo!

kind of old topic already but this issue just happened to me in Excel 2003. What was missing (blank) was the FILE - PAGE SETUP - PAGE TAB, PRINT QUALITY.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.