Hello all, I'm really sorry if this is a double post but I am new to these forums and have encountered a problem that is quite frustrating. I have an HP Pavilion desktop that I am upgrading. It is the a1328x model. Since purchase I have upgraded RAM (no problems), replaced the video card (no problems) and upgraded from Windows XP Media Center Edition to Windows 7 Professional. Recently with my income tax money I have chosen to upgrade the video card once again and purchase a new processor. After studying the specs of my motherboard via the HP website I found the equipment I needed and ordered. Video card and processor were installed with minimal problems on the hardware spec. The processor that came with my motherboard was 533mhz Front Side Bus. The new processor is 800mhz Front Side Bus. The PC seems to boot correctly and slightly faster. My problem is a couple times every hour everything freezes for about a minute, like the computer is trying to process something and then comes out of it. This problem occurred after the processor upgrade, otherwise I've had no problems. Anyones professional opinion on why the PC might freeze would be great. Thanks in advance!

Justin

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Have you done a BIOS/Firmware upgrade on the machine yet?
Did you use doping between the new Processor and Fan?

It's hard to say, but if it boots fine and runs for x amount of time, I would think it's either a overheating issue, power supply-related issue, or a BIOS-related issue.

Start with the BIOS upgrade if you haven't already and give it a whirl...

HTHs

Well after researching the internet I was debating the BIOS upgrade but the sites that I have found want me to pay a membership fee in order to get a fee. I forgot to mention that I did upgrade the power supply to 500w about a year ago. I'm not quite sure what 'doping' is. After reading a few more forum posts I'm starting to think its an overheating issue.

Well after researching the internet I was debating the BIOS upgrade but the sites that I have found want me to pay a membership fee in order to get a fee. I forgot to mention that I did upgrade the power supply to 500w about a year ago. I'm not quite sure what 'doping' is. After reading a few more forum posts I'm starting to think its an overheating issue.

From what I understand I need to pay a membership to get the BIOS updates... Any ideas?

Have you done a BIOS/Firmware upgrade on the machine yet?
Did you use doping between the new Processor and Fan?
HTHs

Doping (silicon heat sink grease) a dielectric heat transfer compound some times used between heat sink and processor. Your processor install guide will indicate if and where to apply grease,grease is usually supplied in upgrade kit. Later---

Doping (silicon heat sink grease) a dielectric heat transfer compound some times used between heat sink and processor. Your processor install guide will indicate if and where to apply grease,grease is usually supplied in upgrade kit. Later---

My processor didn't come with any kind of documentation. I bought it from newegg.com and I guess it was refurbished so I got it in a padded box. I used Arctic Silver thermal compound before putting everything back together.

From what I understand I need to pay a membership to get the BIOS updates... Any ideas?

search maker of the boards website for free bios update for your model board

Here is the link to the HP website for the motherboard:

BIOS Download for HP Pavilion Media Center a1328x Desktop PC

It says that it "Updates microcode to support newer Intel processors."

And it takes your current BIOS version to 3.08 as of 03/21/2006

HTHs

btw: this the American website, the link above was for the Danish revision of this computer.

Well my BIOS is already up to date... Apparently it has been since I got the computer... I may just put the old processor back in and call it a day.

I'm 90% sure I've narrowed my problem down to being my power supply. I get paid on wednesday so I'm gonna buy a new power supply and within another couple of days I'll mark this as solved. Thank you to everyone who has given me your feedback it was greatly appreciated :)

Well as it turns out the upgraded power supply did not help fix the problem. My BIOS is the most up to date it can get and I've put the old processor back in. The only problem I've noticed now is a slight damper in performance in the old processor. I have a feeling it could be because of the new graphics card... I think its time to build a new PC...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.