Hey

I posted not so long ago about a problem with windows not being able to start due to the file - vgaoem.fon being missing or corrupt. I managed to find instructions on the microsoft support website(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315338) which were aparently to sort this problem out.. i followed the procdedure through exactly, then when i restarted the computer windows is sill failing to start, i get given the options to start normally, start in safe mode or safe mode with command prompt.. or to start with the last known settings that worked. I have tried all of these and none of them load windows. :( it appears to load, as i see the white status bar at the bottom of the screen and it moves across the screen as it would do normally, but then it just freezes with a black screen and the white bar. Im really frustrated because i need to get onto the pc as i havent been able to back up all my files etc. and ironically just before all this happened i ordered an external hard drive to back up on but unfortunately the pc died before i could back up! I would really appreciate any advice on how to get windows back up and running without losing any of my files.. please if u have any ideas reply as ive been PC less for about a week now and its really annoying!!

THANKS any help will be much appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

does it let you start the comouter in VGA safe mode?

no it just loads all the files and then freezes with a list of all the files its loaded on the screen! :(

can you list the last 3 files or so that it reads off
also did you grab the right version of the file when you placed it in?

could help if you let me know what happened before your computer went down
ie installed: x software / driver, bluescreen crash... so on

Hi, well the problems all started when i i installed my audigy 2 zs sound card, since then ive had all these problems. So ive taken the sound card out. originally windows would load after a few attempts and then start telling me that it had recovered from a serious error! and then it got to the point where it wasnt loading and the file mentioned previously was missing, so i tried to correct that as explained. Since my last post a friend advised me to do a repair install of windows xp using the original disc (assuring me that i would not loose anything???) . unfortunately this did not work and i am still greeted with more or less the same as before although it looks as though it gets slightly further into the loading process, the grey bar completes, but then i see a quick flash of a blue screen and some text (but not quick enough to read the text) before the computer just restarts to the screen teling me that windows could not start properly, again none of the options (including safe mode) will allow me to start windows. I appreciate that this problem is a tricky one and i would much appreciate some help as its nbearly been two weeks pc less :(

Thanks

Bill

can you try hitting the pause/break key when the blue screen flashes
most times it will stop until you press another key
could give you some time to jot down some info from the screen

can you try hitting the pause/break key when the blue screen flashes
most times it will stop until you press another key
could give you some time to jot down some info from the screen

Hey

I tried that.. it flashes to quicly for me to repsond ive tried several times i tried repreadtly pressing and also holding it but that doesnt work it still reboots when it hits the blue screen and i dont get enough tie to see the text :( so dont know what else to do really?

ok 2 questions
how did you go about trying to recover the windows xp

did you do a reinstall on top of what you had?

also if you can get on to either msn or aim
feel free to send me a private mesege i can talk to you live if its easier

hey

I basically followed a guide ont this website to perform a repai install.. sorry but im quite new to all this so you'll have to bear with me but yeah i do have msn ( all be it on a mac at the mo :( )

msn billenium_uk@hotmail.com

talking live would be a lot easier

thanks

Try doing a complete reinstall into a seperate folder ( c:\win instead of c:\windows )
That will allow you to boot, get files off of it and do a complete reinstall.

just went through that
about to see if it worked or what

just went through that
about to see if it worked or what

Thanks guys.. its all cool now, just gonna back up and start a fresh.. thanks ever so much for your help!!

Cheers

Bill

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.