Hi, We moved our computer from one room to another in our house. It was working fine before the move, now when we reconnected it up, with all the ports securely fastened and in the right holes, it just comes up with "NO SIGNAL". We tried a second monitor with the same result. After moving everything, I may have made a fateful error in cleaning the monitor screen with some window cleaner sprayed onto a cloth and then wiping the screen with it. Perhaps I should have left the monitor dirty as I recall hearing once that it can cause static to clean the monitor. Any suggestions? We are not computer literate enough to be pulling the machine apart and wouldn't know a RAM from a goat :( but I am sure we had this problem before and I just can not figure out what to do to get it going again. We have a little laptop that I am using to post this SOS for assistance. Should we try to network the laptop to the computer or would that just fry our brand new laptop as well? Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

don't think wiping of lcd did it ,but will say don't use window cleaner on you lcd ,use a lcd cleaner only .
if you have a add in video card / agp or pci-e i think you need to open the case and make sure the card is seated correctly by pushing in on the card

don't think wiping of lcd did it ,but will say don't use window cleaner on you lcd ,use a lcd cleaner only .
if you have a add in video card / agp or pci-e i think you need to open the case and make sure the card is seated correctly by pushing in on the card

Hi Caperjack,
Thank you for your reply. I did open it up after I remembered that my other antique computer needed the cards pushed in firmly and hoped that would do the trick. Alas no beeping or anything, so I took it to a local PC repair place that said my puter was fried. The parts are unavailable, and so we garbaged it. Can't complain - we paid $200 for it 5 years ago but it served our needs as we only use the computer to upload pictures and email etc. The only date I saw on it was 1999, so we really got our money's worth. Thank you again for your advice, much appreciated and sounded very logical.
Aussiegirl

your welcome ,good luck with what ever you buy to replace it !

Sounds like you may have a video card that caem loose. You WILL HAVE to remove it and reseat it in the slot firmly. I 'd bet that works

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.