not sure if this has been posted before, but i've been having a hell of a time adjusting the brightness in windows 7. The brightness is set to max, and I can't adjust it in anyway. I've tried installing the newest drivers for my model vaio laptop (VGN-AR830E). I've been googling around and trying different solutions, none of which have worked for me. I last tried this solution (http://superuser.com/questions/68885/how-to-control-brightness-on-sony-vgn-sz-series-laptop-after-windows-7-upgrade) 2nd post, that says to download the different utilities. I did that, and I was then able to adjust the brightness under the power management, but when I saved and applied the power management theme nothing happen. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing my keyboard drivers, as the Fn keys to adjust brightness do not work. So I decided to come here and see if anyone has managed to fix this problem by any other means? Would appreciate any help, would really like to make the move to windows 7 but the maxed brightness is too damn annoying for my eyes for any length of time. brief specs:

Intel core2 duo 2.4 ghz
3GB ram
GeForce 8400M GT
right now using vista home premium build 6 on separate partition

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

just reading with interest ,no solution for you ,just a ?
did you follow post #5 here ,doing exactly as they suggest ,in order install and reboot in between each install .
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/3860-sony-vaio-fn-keys.html#post27423

i did actually, and that was the closest I came to fixing the problem. The brightness adjust slider finally appeared after doing that, but adjusting it and implementing the power scheme had no effect. I even turned brightness all the way down, but no effect. I will try it again and see if it does anything this time. It is possible I didn't download the right ones

Check and see if there is a brightness mode control in your BIOS. If there is one and you set it to User Control, that may make the Windows control work properly.

already tried that too Chris, there was no brightness mode control in BIOS. And, there is no updated BIOS for my model laptop. Seems like I'm just screwed, nothing im trying seems to be working. very frustrating. Another thing I noticed while messing around in windows 7 is that even the hardware button for the volume control doesn't adjust the volume.

sounds like driver problem to me ,not all devices have win7 drivers and are trying to use winxp or vista drivers

from what i remember the last drivers i used to install, the vaio event center, shared library and control center were vista drivers. one of them might have been an xp driver, can't really remember for sure. But if it was, I ran it in compatibility mode with admin access. such a pain in the arse, all over brightness control lol. plus the auto-arrange in windows explorer is annoying to me. Thinking of just giving up on win7 for now.

from what i remember the last drivers i used to install, the vaio event center, shared library and control center were vista drivers. one of them might have been an xp driver, can't really remember for sure. But if it was, I ran it in compatibility mode with admin access. such a pain in the arse, all over brightness control lol. plus the auto-arrange in windows explorer is annoying to me. Thinking of just giving up on win7 for now.

when i first installed win7 i had a ,ATI readon 9200 video card and no Vista or win7 drivers,so i ran winxp driver in compatibility mode and it worked for a bit but started acting up,i bought a new card with win7 driver
so what im saying is its not realy win7 fault it your laptop makers for not having win7 driver for it !

hey someone can healp me??.. i have just upgrade my pc to win7 and all work very fine.. but the brightness stil not working. my fn key and the F7+F8 is not working and i dont have the properties in batery opition.. did i'm missing any driver?. their no an opiotion even in the BIOS or somewhere else.. pls someone help me

I have a old samsung syncmaster 959nf. I used to have a driver wich allowed me to adjust brightness but i had ha virus so I had to install xp all over again so now I don't know where did I got it ? Can anyone help please ?

Hi All,

Please help me I had Lenovo Thinkpad SL300 and i'm not able to change brightness via functional keys and power management.

Thank you !

Guys Guys , It's So Them Easy To Change The Brightness... Okay You Look On Your Keyboard.. DO You See A FN Word On the Buttom Left Of Your Keyboard?? Press It.. Then On The Top There Is F1 F2 F3 ......F12............ There Are Some Pictures On It.. You Should Be Able To See A Sun And With Arrow Up Or Down.. But Some Of The Computers Are Different.. Some Of Them Are On the Arrows Up, Down , Right ,Left.. ... Just Press FN And Press The Sun Thing... Then , They Ploblem Would Be Solved.. But If You Still Could Not Solve It, Press The Sun Thing Only Withought Pressing The FN.. I Am Sure This Would Work Comfirm..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.