Hey guys,

I do video editing on my laptop (see specs below), and I save the video clips to a Maxtor external hard drive (USB). So, when I render projects and burn DVDs on my computer, it uses the video files that are on the external hard drive. This Blue Screen thing has happened a couple of times when I've tried to burn a DVD (Using Pinnacle Studio 9)...I either get a blue screen or some sort of Windows message (that pops up in the system tray...says something about it not being able to read any more from the external hard drive...but that's another topic). Here's what the blue screen says:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF782C88C)
MXOFX.SYS - Address F782C88C base at F7827000 DateStamp 3e9b2dab

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
Physical Memory Dump Complete

Now, I understand that the DRIVER_IRQL... message means that a driver in your computer is screwed up. I initially thought that maybe it was my external hard drive...but then on MS' website it says that a STOP: 0x000000D1 referred to a write process...I don't know exactly what it means by that (I'm not a super technical computer person), but that led me to believe that it may be my DVD burner, since I was trying to write a DVD. I'm close to just reformatting my hard drive or something because this stuff is super annoying...but I didn't know if there was an easy way to tell from all the numbers above what exactly the problem was. Also...what does the PHysical Memory Dump do? The first time I saw it I was really concerned...because it just sounds bad. But now my computer does it so much I get concerned when it doesn't :). Thanks for your help!

Dell Inspiron 9200
1G RAM
50G Hard Drive
2GHz Pentium M
Windows XP SP2

It usually means that the driver is buggy, in this case your Maxtor USB Driver. Try to download an update from their website or uninstall the driver, it's not really required to access your USB drive.

The third parameter in the STOP line (0x00000000) shows you if the error occured during a read (0) or write (1). In your case it's a read.

commented: VERY informative! +5
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.