Hello everyone. I just joined your group today. As you can tell from my login I’m on the old side of life. What I know about PC’s has been mostly self taught over the last eleven years with a couple of Trade School classes on Building your own PC.

Right now I am in need of an answer to a Dual Boot problem. I have just purchased Windows 7 along with a WD 500GB HDD to install it onto. I have XP on a 200GB Maxtor HDD. My problems is that I want to keep both of then in the PC.

Right now I have open the tower and contact which ever drive I want to use. When I contact them both up (SATA) the PC finds them and they’re in the BIOS. How do I turn either one off in the BIOS so that I use the other w/o opening the tower ??

I hope I’ve explained this right and clear enough to understand. Thank you for your help jerry9839

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello everyone. I just joined your group today. As you can tell from my login I’m on the old side of life. What I know about PC’s has been mostly self taught over the last eleven years with a couple of Trade School classes on Building your own PC.

Right now I am in need of an answer to a Dual Boot problem. I have just purchased Windows 7 along with a WD 500GB HDD to install it onto. I have XP on a 200GB Maxtor HDD. My problems is that I want to keep both of then in the PC.

Right now I have open the tower and contact which ever drive I want to use. When I contact them both up (SATA) the PC finds them and they’re in the BIOS. How do I turn either one off in the BIOS so that I use the other w/o opening the tower ??

I hope I’ve explained this right and clear enough to understand. Thank you for your help jerry9839

Ok, I think ireboot will work with this, but I'm not 100% sure. Here is a link that explains it and gets you to a download: http://lifehacker.com/5528459/ireboot-lets-you-skip-the-boot-manager-restart-straight-into-another-os

This should allow you to easily switch between your OS's as long as they are both active.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.