I have repeatedly tried manually and thru auto updates to get the 3 most recent updates at microsoft and each time it fails. I cannot get these 3 updates: Windows XP family Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214) Wednesday, July 20, 2005 Windows Update website
Windows XP family Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235) Wednesday, July 20, 2005 Windows Update website
Windows XP family Update for Windows XP (KB898461).

I have these programs on my pc (eMachines W2646 XP SP2 Home Edition) and know there is no adware, spyware or viruses: the free anti-spyware program that Microsoft bought from Giant (Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta 1 version 1.0.614, Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Build 1.06r1, SpywareGuard version 2.2.0.1, SpywareBlaster version 3.4.0.0, SpyBot Search And Destroy version 1.4, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (Grisoft) version 7.0.323, and Reg Organizer version 2.5.

I didn't have any problem getting updates either way before these updates.
Any idea what could be preventing my pc from getting these updates either manually or via auto update?

in my opinion, you need to stop your anti virus software. sometimes anti-virus considers the update is a danger.

I closed the virus protection and then also failed to get the updates.
Using the task manager, I, then, not only closed my AVG, but also the Microsoft Anti-Spyware, SpywareGuard, SpyBotS&D and Spywareblaster programs to see if I could get these 3 updates: Update for Windows XP (KB898461), Security Update for JView Profiler (KB903235), Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214 ... no such luck. I still cannot get these updates.

sorry for that.
up it for you.
hope somebody contribute a idea.

My guess is that M$ have either mistakenly, or correctly, identified your product key or activation code as invalid. They can blacklist a key at any time.
I'm not saying that this applies to you :o , but sometimes copied or hacked XPs fail updates even though they install and activate without a hitch.
It doesn't even have to be illegal to fail, you can have a perfectly legit copy and MS may have your product key or activation code listed as invalid by mistake. They are so bent on stopping piracy that they occasionally get it wrong. You won't even necessarily be blocked on all update attempts! I've had occasional problems with certain updates, including one of the latest exploit patches MS released: KB899588.

Thank you for your concern and assistance. The fix for this problem is below.
I had to contact via email Microsoft Online Customer Service. These were the fixes I had to do.
STEP #1:
From your description, I understand that you have encountered some troubles when trying to download the three Updates ((KB901214) (KB903235) (KB898461)) from the Windows Update site. I also understand that it fails to install manually. The first attempt to get these updates was on June 28th and the
re have been a total number of 143 failed attempts for these same 3 updates. I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are experiencing. Please be assured that I will try my best to help you resolve the issue. However, if I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to correct me.

After reading the Windows Update log file, I found that you have received an error code 0x80246008. This error most likely occurs when the current account does not have permissions to install Windows Updates, or the Windows Update temporary folder has been corrupted. We can take the following steps
to get the issue resolved.

Step 1: Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update.
===============
This behavior may occur if the temporary folder of Windows Update has been corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder. Please be assured the folder will be created again when we visit the Windows Update site again.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold.
4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

net start WuAuServ

Step 2: Disable the software that can affect Windows Update.
=========================
Some third party programs can change the permission of the current account. This can cause the issue. Please temporarily disable all antivirus components, Web Trap component of PC-cillin, Surfin Guard Pro, download accelerators/enhancements, Download Accelerator Plus, spyware applications and other
similar programs.

To protect the system from being infected when the firewall program is disabled, we can enable the built-in Internet Connection Firewall (ICF):

a. Click Start, click the Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
b. Right-click the connection where you would like to enable the ICF, and then click Properties.
c. On the Advanced tab, click the box to select the option to protect my computer or network.

If this does not help, please re-enable the firewall and antivirus programs, and provide me with the following information for research. Please first send the System Information to me:

a. Press Start, Run and type in msinfo32. Press OK.
b. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.
c. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

Please send the files to me at email address. Once I obtain the information, I will perform further research and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Please let me know the results at your earliest convenience. I appreciate your time and effort on this issue. If anything is unclear, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will be glad to help.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

STEP #2:
Thank you for your response. I have received your two attachments. Thank you very much for your cooperation. From your response, I understand that the Windows Updates still cannot be received. I also understand that the Internet Explorer and MSN also cannot work properly. Please be reassured that I
will continue to try my best to help you resolve our issue of Windows Update. If there is anything unclear, please don't hesitate to let me know. I am very glad to help you.

After checking the System Information, I found that the BITS service is stopped. This issue can be also caused if the BITS cannot be started. Let's try the following suggestions to the troubleshooting:

Step 1: Reinstalling the BITS Service:
============================
1. Click Start->Run and then type the following command then click OK.

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %SystemRoot%\inf\qmgr.inf

2. The setup process will try to restore the registry branches automatically. You may not receive any notification. However, if some files cannot be located automatically, we will be prompted to select the installation source. Please click browse, and go to this location:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
If this folder is not available, please choose the folder C:\Windows\System32.

Step 2: Re-register the Windows Update components.
=================
1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter.
2. Run the following commands:

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll
Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
Regsvr32 wucltui.dll
Regsvr32 wups.dll
Regsvr32 wuweb.dll
Regsvr32 qmgr.dll
Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
Regsvr32 jscript.dll

We will receive "succeeded" message if a component is registered successfully.

After trying above suggestions, let's try to start the BITS service again.

Start the BITS service.
===============
This issue can occur if three services have not been configured correctly. Please refer to the following steps to check them:

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.
2. Double click the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".
3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.
5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

If this service can be started, let's try to access the Windows Update site again.

If you have encountered any trouble when trying the suggestions, please help me gather a screenshot, thank you for your cooperation:

Screenshot
===============
a. When you encounter the problem, keep the window on the screen.
b. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
c. Click Start, click Run, type "mspaint", and click OK.
d. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.
e. Send it to email address.

STEP #3:
Thank you for your feedback. From your response, I understand that this BITS service still cannot be started. I also have received your screenshot. Thank you for your cooperation.

We have confirmed that the Windows Update issue is caused by the BITS service. We have tried to re-install the BITS service. However, it still cannot be started.

This issue may be caused by some corrupted files. I suggest we first remove Service Pack 2 (SP2), install the Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1, and then please reinstall Service Pack 2 (SP2). I really appreciate your effort on this issue.

To remove Service Pack 2 (SP2), please perform the steps below:

1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click to select the Show Updates check box.
3. Click Windows XP Service Pack 2, and then click Remove.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.

Then, please install the update below:

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b93356b1-ba43-480f-983d-eb19368f9047&displaylang=en

After the installation, please reinstall SP2 using the following steps:

Step 1: Please download the full installation package of Service Pack 2 from the following website in Normal Mode:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Note: This package can be installed on all Windows XP computers, including Home and Professional versions.

Then, please go to the next steps.

Step 2: Reinstall Service Pack 2

If anything is unclear, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding the issue, feel free to let me know.

STEP #4:
Thank you for taking the time to let me know this issue has been resolved. I really appreciate your effort on this issue. I am going to go ahead and close this case as resolved.
Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Hello all,

Thanks for the great info! This is the first site I found when searching for the install problem with this particular update.. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me..

However, check out this link, it solved my problem:

http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~rcbilson/blosxom.cgi/2005/08/07

:lol:

Thanks again!
--Adrian

Thnx WCStoll! I followed the steps and my computer is happily updating right now!! :-)

Finally....:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.