Hi !

I use windows xp with MS word 2002.Every time I open a word documet it copies itself with the title's first 2 words altered to a dollor sign($) and ~.so if I name a file ultra.doc it would appear ~$ltra.doc, a duplicate of the original, inside content -nothing changes.could you please help me out?Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This is the "live edit" copy. if your work crashes when you are in the middle of editing a
document you can recover your work by opening the live one if i am not mistaken.

Most people first notice this when they are working out of their "My Documents" folder
and create documents on their desktop. (because they can see it happening)

This is standard behavior for many Microsoft products. Not a virus.

The file should go away if you save your work and then exit your application normally.

Enjoy,
Cain

this filetype also serves as a lock file in shared environments i believe..
this prevents two people from editing the document simultaneously.
(which would allow for one individuals changes to overwrite the others)

enjoy again,
Cain

If you don't want to see that anymore, just open up the window for, let's say, My Documents, then tools > Folder Options> click the view tab, then scroll to hidden files and folders and click "Do Not Show Hidden Files and Folders"

If you don't want to see that anymore, just open up the window for, let's say, My Documents, then tools > Folder Options> click the view tab, then scroll to hidden files and folders and click "Do Not Show Hidden Files and Folders"

thanks guys as along as its not a virus, I am happy, but why then it alters the title to some weird signs, if its not a virus, as u guys said , if its a legitimate feature of MS word , this should not happen, am I right?

this should happen and is functioning properly.
typically it would happen in a folder you are not viewing.
what you are seeing is a file that is normally hidden or at least obscured
in a subdirectory.

no it isnt a virus and it is perfectly normal.

you are in good shape.

Cain

Just to back up what Cain is saying-- I opened a Word document myself, and that same file appeared. This operation is completely normal.

thanks that's great

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.