I've noticed some inconsistencies in the way different Outlook version handle the file creation and modification timestamps for saved attachments.

Whenever my coworker (running Outlook 2007 SP2 on Windows XP) saves an attachment, it is timestamped using the moment that the attachment was saved to the file system.

However, whenever I save an attachment (using Outlook 2003 SP3 on Windows 7) it is assigned the file's original creation and modification timestamps from the source computer.

My Google searches have been largely unfruitful, ending mostly in, "Perhaps the customer is not remembering properly?" regarding the customer remembering that Outlook would save attachments with the original dates.

I did find this Microsoft KB, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245016), which states that this inconsistency appears when Outlook 2000 is configured as an Internet Mail client. Both of my Outlook installations are Exchange clients, however, my coworker also has an Internet Mail account configured. (This is Outlook 2007, but has there been a regression?)

I've connected my Outlook 2003 client to my coworker's account using a separate profile. When I saved the attachment, I saw the original creation date and time in the file properties.

Any other troubleshooting ideas? Has anyone noticed this inconsistency and/or come up with a solution?

I've noticed some inconsistencies in the way different Outlook version handle the file creation and modification timestamps for saved attachments.

I did find this Microsoft KB, (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245016), which states that this inconsistency appears when Outlook 2000 is configured as an Internet Mail client. Both of my Outlook installations are Exchange clients, however, my coworker also has an Internet Mail account configured. (This is Outlook 2007, but has there been a regression?)

On a whim at lunchtime, I configured a new Outlook profile for my co-worker that only connects to Microsoft Exchange, instead of Exchange & Internet Mail. Lo and behold, attachments are saved with the proper date. I then added the Internet Mail account, and it still seems like the dates are being preserved.

I do know that the Outlook client was upgraded from 2003 to 2007 without recreating the mail profile.

So, perhaps try recreating the mail profile for Outlook to alleviate the attachment date problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.