This is my last resort b4 I throw my computer out of the window! I am still running Millennium hoping to salvage my computer and update to XP. I will be happy to follow directions from someone who can help, I am on my own here. There are missing files that I can't seem to find or replace. I cannot download any antivirus software because of the missing files and my cpmputer being too out dated. I scan for windows updates on startup. I don't know what to do cause now my computer has been freezing up and especially when I try to open more than one window or right click on a window. Now I have a weird trailing on my IE screen. According to PCTools, I have 16 infections found on the computer but no way to download antivirus. I can't take this rollercoaster anymore I want to get off this ride!!! PLEASE help, please...

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I am still running Millennium hoping to salvage my computer and update to XP

hi ,first thing you need to buy/aquire winxp[might not be that easy to find ] then you would just go into the bios to set cdrom as the first boot device .then incert the cd in the cd-rom and boot computer and just follow the prompts to format and install winxp ,finding drivers for all your devices might be your biggest problem!

Ok, back from my vacation from Windows ME. I read that you can have both ME and XP OS installed on the computer. I would like to try but I and confused on how to do this. Would I have to uninstall ME and then install it again in order to install XP (which is XPPro)? Also not so sure how to partition these two systems...and don't I need to backup-if so how do I do that? I need serious clarification please, I do not do this for a living but am eager to learn. I am currently running Deep Burner to transfer my docs and pics to CDR in case something goes wrong I don't want to lose them. I have all WinME CDs in case I need to reinstall and I have also made a new startup disk. Please walk me through...With drink in hand I await... :)

FYI, there is no virus protection installed recently. The Norton antivirus that came with my Dell install CDs, was installed but failed to pickup any virus or problems no matter how many time I ran it. The other problem was that it would stall or freeze up my computer and would interfe with downloads, so I uninstalled it. What free antivirus programs would reccommend other than Norton? Also would these possible threats interfere with the installation of my XP? Thanks.........

So your answer to my "questions" is a link? Could of sworn I asked more than one question.....Thanks but its not gonna work out. I'll start a new thread instead.

I'm not an expert. This computer system scares me cause I have already made so many mistakes in the past and I don't want to create futher problems that this OS can't handle cause of lack of info. No offense to the techs on the site, but I browse often and other post get more detailed info. So please, lets try again.........If need be I will start a new thread if that helps. Sorry if previous post was a little ...raw. I apologize.

no need to apologize ,the link was just to give you a little something to read ,,to gather a little knowledge about what it is you want to do >
there is know way i could take you through it step by step !

go back to my first response ,,do you have a winxp cd to install xp, if your WIN ME is working so bad why would you want to leave it on the computer.

before i leaned so much about computer i paid a computer tech fix my serious problems ,and i learned what i know [what ever that is ]now by reading links like the one i posted above !

so if you want to run both ME and XP ,you would be best off to reinstall ME start new ! ,then install XP ,always install oldest OS, first .but if it were me i would forget ME all tougher.

one more link that is a must read for a first time installer of winxp ,.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx

I have read the info on the links and have a little more clarity so thanks (and I understand the usage of the (!) puncuations used in ur last response. I deserved alittle of that, guess my frustration came out. Anyways can u please check this report to see if it looks good before I proceed:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:47:34 AM, on 07/31/10
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB918547\KB918547.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT\DKSERVICE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\TREND MICRO\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bing.com/
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS.000\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS.000\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS.000\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfigReminder] C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\msconfig.exe /reminder
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB918547] C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB918547\KB918547.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS.000\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [DkService] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\DkService.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS.000\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS.000\web\related.htm
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll

--
End of file - 2437 bytes

Thanks a bunch........

hijack log looks alright ,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.