I am one of those SP2 users who haven't yet upgraded to SP3. Frankly, from all those horror stories about it, I am afraid to even try. I know that support for XP2 ends 7/13...my question is: if I decide to just stick with SP2, with ComodoFirewall/Avira Antivir/Malwarebytes/Superantispyware/Spyware Blaster now installed on my pc, will these programs keep my pc safe without my having to install XP3?

On another note....the Registry is heavily populated with XP2"updates". Is it "safe" to delete all these updates as I assume they've already been installed??
thanks for any and all replies.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

All XP is going to end in 2014 so in another 4 years time Window XP will not get any support or updates. You can stick to SP2 for now and don't bother with SP3 or upgrade straight to SP3 and after that who know what might happen when all the support is gone. If you have the budget upgrade straight to Window 7 with new hardware. If not you can open yourself to Linux. Give it a try.

Thanks for ur reply...however, my question was not answered...that is, is it "safe" to delete all those numerous windows updates entries listed in the WinXP Registry, and/or Add Remove Programs list? since, I assume, these fixes/updates have already been installed on my pc? Would welcome further replies.

Expand C:\Windows. See all the blue $MIS... or $NT... Uninstall folders? You can delete those IF your system is working well. If you delete anything you mention from the CP Add/Rem Pgms list you will uninstall those items [updates]. That would be silly.
SP3? Go to Windows and dl the update .enu.exe file. Install it. Easy as. Safe as. Search engines pick up all the complaints, but the many tens of millions who did it correctly and had no problem don't go onto websites.

I am one of those SP2 users who haven't yet upgraded to SP3. Frankly, from all those horror stories about it, I am afraid to even try. I know that support for XP2 ends 7/13...my question is: if I decide to just stick with SP2, with ComodoFirewall/Avira Antivir/Malwarebytes/Superantispyware/Spyware Blaster now installed on my pc, will these programs keep my pc safe without my having to install XP3?

On another note....the Registry is heavily populated with XP2"updates". Is it "safe" to delete all these updates as I assume they've already been installed??
thanks for any and all replies.

herb252-not an expert but did install SP3 and have not had a problem, can't tell you about any conflicts with s/w you referenced as to any conflicts

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.