I have a PC with windows 98 as its OS. In the last couple of days I have not been able to start it up simply because I get the above message. Can you help me please?

Your bootfiles maybe badly fragmented, which is why the OS is unable to load, have you defragged lately? Are you able to boot into safe mode?

I have not done any defragement at all. I have never done the safe mode boot up. Can you tell me how to do this please?

Your bootfiles maybe badly fragmented, which is why the OS is unable to load, have you defragged lately? Are you able to boot into safe mode?

During startup press F8, from the options choose safe mode ( in this only the absolutely essential processes are loaded, so defragmenter can function without interruption). Then run scan disk, as the defragmenter will not run if there are bad sectors on ur drive. After that defragment( your system will have the defragment utility- check in system tools). The defragmenter moves fragmented files back together into continguous chunks, thus making file access faster for the HDD. If you dont defragment, the system is bound to become slow.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.