I have an emachine T2080 w/WinXP. When the computer is at my house and when it was at my g/f house it locks up and you have to hit c-a-d and close the task manager and then continue with what you were doing untill it happens again. At my parents house the computer was fine, never locked up. When we took it to bestbuy it worked fine for them and they said it must be the surge protector or something with the power. Bought a new surge protector and it still locks up. Anyone have any other ideas? Could I or Can I replace the power supply thats inside the computer? Or is that even the problem since it works fine at my parents house?

Thanks
Carl

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So you are saying, at this time, if you were to take it to your folks place place right now it would work fine. But it does not work fine at your place?

Hmmm, this was all just recently tried? We are not talking a few weeks apart from your testing?

What tasks are you doing when it freezes? Does it just freeze at random, with no specific program running or task being performed.

We need a little more details to help.

People please!!!!People Please! When asking questions or asking for help, please give us as much specifics as to what is actually going on with the system at the time of problem. i.e. Programs running, tasks being performed on the system, what is running in the taskbar, Windows version, RAM, and modifications to the system like Overdriving. It makes solving the problem much faster!

So you are saying, at this time, if you were to take it to your folks place place right now it would work fine. But it does not work fine at your place?

Hmmm, this was all just recently tried? We are not talking a few weeks apart from your testing?

What tasks are you doing when it freezes? Does it just freeze at random, with no specific program running or task being performed.

We need a little more details to help.

People please!!!!People Please! When asking questions or asking for help, please give us as much specifics as to what is actually going on with the system at the time of problem. i.e. Programs running, tasks being performed on the system, what is running in the taskbar, Windows
version, RAM, and modifications to the system like Overdriving. It
makes solving the problem much faster!

Ok it's a 2000+ AMD Athlon xp, Windows XP home ed., 512 DDR. It locks up at random, I haven't noticed any patterns. It was at my g/f's house for a while and always locked up so then we took it staight to my parents house there it worked fine for probly 6 months then I bought a house and moved it there and now it locks up again. It doesn't lock up like every minute it's just at random, I've been on here for about 10 minutes now and hasn't did it yet. I think I may go get the power strip from my parents house were it worked fine and bring it to my house and plug it in and see what happens. I guess it can't hurt. Thanks for the reply sorry for no specs

are you online when this happens??

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.