Nothing shows as bad in that log, Wdawg. But please uninstall completely the SpyDoctor service and AVG9, then reinstall AVG9 only.
I have to add... do you have any theme changer software? The taskbar colour comes from shellstyle.dll in Windows\Resources folder, but i don't know when that is used/read, or by what... must be something at startup, or logon, anyway, by a user. Anyway, something is interfering with its use.... and because you have TWO AV services running, it could be that. [your SD has an AV service in it].

OK, I took off AVG and Spydoctor as was running gamer when the PC became infected by Security Suite which locked it up and I had to turn off. I then ran malware to try to get Security Suite off and it ran to completion but did not find the Securiy Suite but did find other infections which I chose to delete. I took the reboot option in malware but the PC would not come back up. I then ran diagnostics on it and got an error on the DST short test, error code 1000-0146 contains previous errors. This PC is a Latitude D620 and from what I can tell off of internet, this error message means the hard drive is gone, so I am screwed.

OK, I took off AVG and Spydoctor as was running gamer when the PC became infected by Security Suite which locked it up and I had to turn off. I then ran malware to try to get Security Suite off and it ran to completion but did not find the Securiy Suite but did find other infections which I chose to delete. I took the reboot option in malware but the PC would not come back up. I then ran diagnostics on it and got an error on the DST short test, error code 1000-0146 contains previous errors. This PC is a Latitude D620 and from what I can tell off of internet, this error message means the hard drive is gone, so I am screwed.

More stuff, more stuff, when I F8 to safe mode I get these messages:

There are 13 that have the prefix below--->

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\

Which is followed by these:

1) ntoskrnl.exe
2) hal.dll
3) KDOM.DLL
4) BOOTVID.dll
5) config\system
6) c_1252.nls
7) c_437.NLS
8) l_intl.nls
9) drivers\bododlpi.sys
10) DRIVERS\ACPI.sys
11) DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
12) DRIVERS\pci.sys
13) DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

Between 8 and 9 above are these two messages:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\FONTS\vgaoem.fon
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

Whopper, i've not seen that before in Safe Mode. Coupled with your earlier post i am going to edge my way out on a limb here and say that those files are corupt. A couple of things to try are:
- load into a Recovery Console and try to run chkdsk /r
Chances are , though, that the RC won't recognise your OS....
-next is to trust that the hdd is not totally wrecked and load another XP OS into a fresh [Primary] partition [or into a data primary partition that you can waste], then because it will have files for the identical hardware, copy the files from that list into the old Windows. How to make a new partition? Download Partition Wizard bootable iso: http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html
With that cd version of PW [identical in operation and features to the Windows version you can resize an existing partition if it has enough free space to create Unallocated space, then create a new primary partition in that space. You need about 2GB...it is quite simple to do.
eg. you may be able to shrink your C: and create a D: behind it. Load a fresh Windows into that.
Good luck. I would be doubtful about keeping that drive, though, because of the DST msg. Copy off.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.