I am running Xp Prof SP3 with Office 2003 on an HP laptop nx8220.
After screensaver(any version) kicks in, it soon starts moving in a slow jerking motion accross the screen and then sometimes freezes. It is then difficult to get it to come out of screensaver back to desktop which can take several minutes after touching the touchpad.

This computer has been fully cleaned of all viruses and CleanUp is run regularly to clear out unwanted files, etc.

Help required to resolve this please.

bar457

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Firstly you can do a disk clean up. Got to My Computer right click on the C:> drive, go to properties and click Disk Clean. Secondly do a defrag on your hard disk. Lastly you may want to consider downloading Advance System Card free or pay for advance version and let it do it for you.

I have done a disk clean and defrag using Windows and other programs.
I wondered if something was running in the background as if left alone, sometimes the screensaver returns to normal.

If you leave the internet on than it could be Window is doing the updating. If not you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del and check whether any unnecessarily software is running. If there is than you can end the process.

Windows update only searches the Microsoft site for available updates once a day, so that cannot be the problem.
I have looked in Task Manager and cannot see any programs running that should not be, but of course there are a lot of processes running as with all computers.

I am running Xp Prof SP3 with Office 2003 on an HP laptop nx8220.
After screensaver(any version) kicks in, it soon starts moving in a slow jerking motion accross the screen and then sometimes freezes. It is then difficult to get it to come out of screensaver back to desktop which can take several minutes after touching the touchpad.

This computer has been fully cleaned of all viruses and CleanUp is run regularly to clear out unwanted files, etc.

Help required to resolve this please.

bar457

Is it only happen with one screensaver? I think it is not compatible, means require some resources that your computer do not have.

Hi Hitech
It happens with all screensavers, I have tried different ones.

Hi Khakilang & Hitech
Have solved it, but not what you might think.

I have had hanging problems in Outlook to do with an old Exchange account that was left over from the previous business owner, but I did not need. I have been fiddling with the account settings today, but not really changing anything, just unsetting and re-setting configurations, but it has fixed the Outlook problems.

As soon as I did that my screensaver problems are cured completely, so I have no idea how that works, maybe you understand it?

Anyway, many thanks for your efforts.

best regards
bar457

That is good. But would you like to tell what you did to solve this problem? I never seen such a problem yet.

I do not know what actually fixed it as I did not actually change to any new settings, but I know that sometimes just re-setting configurations clears problems and so I just clicked to alternative settings or clicked them off and then clicked back on again, clicking OK each time to make sure the actions were applied.

I do not want to use the Exchange account but just use a POP3 account, so the settings I have made are as follows.

The settings I chose in Outlook are:-

Menu Bar > Tools
Exchange Account > Change > More settings

Make sure the following are selected:-
- General tab > Automatically detect connection state
- Advanced tab> tick use cached exchange mode
then Offline Folder File settings > not selected
- Connection tab >connect using my local area network

then 'apply/ finish'

In addition to this, as I do not want Outlook to keep trying to find mail on the Exchange account,I have disabled this in the following way:-

Outlook menu bar > send/receive > send/receive settings > define send/receive groups

>then remove the exchange account from the window showing accounts to be included in send/receive function.

The above resolved my hanging problems on all Outlook commands.
Somehow it also immediately resolved my screensaver freezing issues, even though screensaver still froze when Outlook program was closed.It makes no sense to me but it worked.

I hope this helps others with related problems.

thanks and regards
bar457

Outlook is downloading mail in the background? Anyway it is good to hear the problem is solved. So please mark the thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.