We have a six year old Sony Vaio running Windows XP Media Center. The computer is dog slow. Id figure a virus, but if there is one, Norton 360, Malwarebytes, and another program cant find it.

Bottom line, my wife wants it rebuilt. So, before I do so, and risk loosing her photos, I have to place all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

Ive backed up photos, documents, and music.

Do you have a link as to best rebuild a system?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just in case have you run anything like CCleaner to clean out the old temporary internet files? And have you defragmented the harddrive lately?

To clean out the old files right click the drive in while in My Computer and select Properties from the menu. Select the tools tab and then Disk Cleanup and check the report.

Defragment is on the same tools menu.

CC Cleaner has cleaned up what it could, and I did a disk clean up and defrag too - still slow. THanks for the reply, Best

Just out of curiosity how much ram do you have? If it less than 1GB see if you can add more. You will be amazed at the difference.

3G

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.