Hello... new to this site.

Having a problem with my older system running Win98SE and startup.
The system was running fine the day before.

Here are the scenarios: While the startup logo is displayed, there is an intermittent pause, then it restarts itself, logo comes back up and then the message about how Windows wasnt shutdown completely and gives you choices with Safe mode highlighted. I go into safe mode, do a complete shutdown, try starting up again, but the same thing happens.

When I chose 1. Normal instead of safe mode, the screen displays the message "Window Protection Error. You need to restart your computer".

I performed AVG antivirus, Spybot, Adaware, Scandisk, and a defrag. No change.

Can this problem be corrected by me or take it to a shop ? I noticed an earlier post about cleaning out the mainboard and checking device connections.

Any help would be great. The Mrs. is bugging me she needs the computer.

Thanks.

Murray

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Boot into Safe mode. Run the spyware programs from there to remove stubborn intruders. From within Safe mode, uninstall any crappy downloaded programs. If "the missus" is like many other "the missuses" (sorry for the stereotype there people - I was referring to an androgynous 'the missus') then there's bound to be heaps of stuff from silly downloaded 'Bejeweled' type games to fiddly silly desktop assistants and goodness knows what else has seemed like fun at the time. It's all rubbish and it all mucks the system up!

When the scans have been run and the rubbish software removed from the system, pop the Windows 98 CD in the drive and from within Safe mode if necessary run 'Setup' to refresh the Windows installation.

catweazle, with 98SE, setup over an existing installation will attempt to run on a RAM Drive and subsequintly fail on reboot because the RAM Drive no longer exists. Rather, That's what happened ot Me once!...lol....didn't try it again!

I tried re-installing over an existing win98 before and all it did was carry over the same problems that it had before.

You can also try checking out the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forums. You might be nursing some nasties in your windows...

jusCk, dunno what you did but that sounds buzarre.

oalee, if the problems aren't cleaned up before a refresh install they will be replicated or worsened. If a refresh install doesn't fix it, a format/fresh install will ;)

Hello,

You say the computer was fine the day before so naturally we will want to go back to the day before (or a few days before) from the registry point of view.

Now the steps to do this (and this is very easy, no need for shops who charge a mint) is simply:

1. Reboot, and tap F8 to get into boot menu
2. Choose Command Prompt Only
3. Type in SCANREG /Restore
4. Choose the registry backup from a time when the system was working fine

Now when you get back to working properly, I would suggest cleaning out the computer and manually creating a new restore point. You can do this by:

1. Go to start, and then to Run
2. Type in: SCANREG /backup

And that should do it. This is a very good skill to have when around less experienced users. I don't know how many times I have had to do this for people running 98, espcially after using "hijack this". :)

Regards,
-Emily

jusCk, dunno what you did but that sounds buzarre.

oalee, if the problems aren't cleaned up before a refresh install they will be replicated or worsened. If a refresh install doesn't fix it, a format/fresh install will ;)

Catweazle, I did just as You suggested in this thread, put in My 98SE CD, opened Windoze Explorer, navigated to D:\Win98\Setup, and dbl-clked.
It went completely thru the setup, then on first reboot, Failed, stating Invalid Drive specification. Ended up rescuing My data and doing a Full Format/Install.
In My efforts to KNOW what had happened, I retried setup over That installation, Carefully examining each step. When it listed the Destination Drive, was RAMDriveX:\Win98. I've forgotten what designation it was given, and would not allow changing to C:\Win98.

Win95 Does allow an Overwrite Install, and You are correct that any Problems NOT involving System Files Will Remain.

Hello,

You say the computer was fine the day before so naturally we will want to go back to the day before (or a few days before) from the registry point of view.

Now the steps to do this (and this is very easy, no need for shops who charge a mint) is simply:

1. Reboot, and tap F8 to get into boot menu
2. Choose Command Prompt Only
3. Type in SCANREG /Restore
4. Choose the registry backup from a time when the system was working fine

Now when you get back to working properly, I would suggest cleaning out the computer and manually creating a new restore point. You can do this by:

1. Go to start, and then to Run
2. Type in: SCANREG /backup

And that should do it. This is a very good skill to have when around less experienced users. I don't know how many times I have had to do this for people running 98, espcially after using "hijack this". :)

Regards,
-Emily

I just wanted to let you know that I restored my laptop after using the scanreg /restore information that you posted! Thank you very much for sharing that information! Ruthann

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.