Can some one help me with my Problem?

Recently i powered up my laptop and I cant be able to see all my desktop icons on the screen. The screen displays my screen background but all the icons and the startup menu are not shown. Currently Im accessing my files through the task manager. Please help me rectify the problem. My OS is XP Service Pack 3

Help needed

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

..your explorer.exe is corrupted!..repair your operating system!..i hope it helps!..^_^..

BlackFoot is right... your explorer did not start. Could be corrupted, could be the registry entry to start it is corrupted. So, to see if it is the former use TM to run explorer.exe . If it does not start [no icons etc show] then copy in the file from another system to Windows\explorer.exe
If your browser works [start it via TM eg enter firefox.exe, or iexplore.exe] - you won't need a pathname because the path will be in your environment settings. Use the browser to open files etc.
Registry entry bad? In TM run regedit.exe, and this is how the key should be:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]//
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
If that entry is not correct then this will put it right [and do no harm if you run it anyway]:
==Please copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as fixkey.reg to your desktop; dclick it to run... agree; if it opens in notepad instead rclick the icon [file], choose Merge, else choose Open with, Registry editor....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.