Ok, trying to do a favor for a family member by installing a MAXTOR ATA133 Controller card into their computer.

After I "thought" I loaded the drivers I put the Primary HD (which contains the OS, Win XP Pro) on to the controller card.

After a reboot it detected the controller card and then it just kept rebooting.

Obviously something was not right, so I took the HD off the controller card and put it back to the primary IDE on the Mother Board.

After another reboot, I receive the following error right when its verifying the DMI Pool Data.
"Error Loading Operationg System"

I am FREAKING OUT! What happened, what do I need to?

I have already tried to reset the ESCD, but that didnt work.. I need SERIOUS HELP!

Thanks in advance!

System Specs:

P3 800 512MB RAM
60 GB 7200 Maxtor HD
Creative Labs LIVE Value sound card
Maxtor / Promise technologies ATA133 Controller Card
Ati 9000 Graphics card.
Win XP Pro

Recommended Answers

All 31 Replies

Hmm ... I'm out of ideas with this one (as of now). Give me a lil time to think about what might be and then I'll get back to you.

All you did was physically alter the cable connections, right? I have gotten a similar error about being unable to detect the OS when I forgot to set my C: partition as "Active" after partitioning and formatting.

easy solution to this problum, reformat

Radicaled, you are like me :P I like to reformat over every lil thing that goes wrong! It's my solution to everything.

I wish I could say the same thing. Seriously, there should be a button on my keyboard that unformats and restores my computer the way it was. I wish... it'd be cool if it did it as fast as I can undo something in word by hitting CTRL+Z.

But then it would suck if I hit it accidently. ;)

that is what i always do when ppl come up to me and say "my comp wont work" i reformat and ppl think ime a geneyus lol :: fells smart ::
tehehehe windows is to much of a pain to repair anywayz

LOL! Yeah, I used to do the same thing. As long as you put a nice wallpaper on the desktop, some neat sounds, and mention that the computer will now run faster, they'll be happy.

I only really did this if they gave me a system recovery CD. I remember one time I did it, and I didn't have the CD... man... trying to find the drivers was a pain in the neck.

To think I had to register to see how you solved it.

commented: you rock +10

Formatting does not help - this has something to do with AWD Bios not recognising discs over 33Gb when installing XP. Some other places suggest using Windows 98SE floppy to boot, but not tried that yet.. but I'm gonna. Can't believe this has suddenyl started happening to lots of people at the same time. Very strange.

Well, before you format..

Try booting up in safemode with the Maxtor Controller, and revert back to the Windows ATA Drivers...

And this goes to say.. most problems are easily corrected by a format, but formatting isn't always the best or quickest move.

Waiting a day or two and asking around could solve you a week of backing up+reformatting+reinstalling windows+reinstalling your apps+restoring files

Appreciate what you say about re-formatting, but as the problem is occuring when doing this, it is very pertinent to this thread, in fact, it is the crux.

OK - I have spent hours on this, and I am certain I know the problem, but unfortunately, not the solution. According to Microsoft Knowledge Base, the error comes up after Verify DMI Pool when you try to load XP onto an IBM Hard Drive over 33GB, where the BIOS is Award 4.5. I now think this applies to ANY Hard Drive over 33GB. I have now used a combination FOUR Mobos, and THREE Hard Drives - an IBM 10gB, IBM 60gB and Maxtore 80gB (you see what I mean by hours). 3 Mobos are Award BIOS, one is AMI (American Megatrends). I was able to successfully load the following combinations - Awards BIOS and 10gB, and AMI BIOS and 60gb and 80gb. 3 x Award boards gave the error whether it was with the 60 or 80. Furthermore, when I tried to UPGRADE after loading ME first, it still failed, and when I re-formatted, the FDISK read the drive as 30GB, not 60gB. Even trying to use the 60GB with an Award boar after having successfully loaded XP using AMI, I still got the error.

The only way to fix this for yourselves, and I stand by this, is to get a MOBO running BIOS other than Award, or to use a 30GB or less HDD. Alternatively, does anyone know the number for the Award people;) The MS KB seems to think it's an IBM problem - I disagree.

I'm using Windows XP, Award BIOS on some systems, and drives in excess of 32Gb with no problems.

Are these drives being partitioned and formatted FAT32 with FDISK? If so, why? The Windows XP CD will partition and format the drives, and use NTFS as well. IF FDISK is used to create partitions over 32Gb, then problems can result, as XP doesn't like FAT32 volumes in excess of 32GB, and rightfully so, as they are innappropriate to use.

In this particular instance, Windows XP is quite possibly having problems starting as well because of the change in drive controller. Was the XP installation reset first to use generic IDE controllers, before the controller card was installed and the drive connected to it?

Can't you flash the BIOS to the latest version that has it in its fix list?

commented: what happened to you man, come back to the damn forums +10

This thread is better than going and reading some maddox, really quite entertaining.

Well, I have another suggestion. Grab and install Smart BootManager, an open source boot manager. Smart BootManager features an option for "Toggled Extended Int 13H". Extended Int 13H lets us get past some HD Size barriers.

Its easy to install Smart BootManager; download the two files (sbminst.exe and cwsdpmi.exe) and place them on a startup disk. Boot up on the disk, and run the command:

sbminst -t US -d 128

Answer yes to the question asking you if you want to install, and you're set. Just reboot the PC and right after your BIOS loads, Smart BootManager will display.

I had the same problem and just changed in BIOS the IDE Access MODE to LHA, before it was AUTO (LARGE).

The funny think is that I had Windows installed on that Hard Disk (Seagate 80GB) and just tried to install the same Windows but in spanish...

Hi Zagith

My 20gb Master Hdd fell over not long ago and just bought a Maxtor drive and I put it in to be the Master. Then I set it up and then it had to do the first reboot and after doing the dmi Data Pool it said Error Loading Operating System. I have tried everything under the sun to fix it and I am now looking on the internet.

wow your dmi datapool told you?? sorry, but the dmi data pool doesn't tell you, post tests are telling you theres an error with the dmi data pool..

Clearing CMOS worked for me...

folks i get the message "error loading operating system" after i tried to load Windows ME over the top of XP Pro, if a windows 98 boot up disk will do the trick where can i get a copy of this that is easy to download ...cheers in advance.please keep replies user friendly as not the sharpest tool in the box when comes to this stuff.....cheers

Hey, I cant get my computer to work, period, I have used a windows xp pro ms-dos start-up disk, to no avail, changed the auto settings to HDD Drive, and tried LBA and Large, to no avail. I tried booting directly from a windows xp cd.

I can't even get into DOS

any help guys?

my system

1300 MP/XP AMD
640 Ram
64 MB Video card
200 GB Seagate HD

Hey, I cant get my computer to work, period, I have used a windows xp pro ms-dos start-up disk, to no avail, changed the auto settings to HDD Drive, and tried LBA and Large, to no avail. I tried booting directly from a windows xp cd.

I can't even get into DOS

any help guys?

my system

1300 MP/XP AMD
640 Ram
64 MB Video card
200 GB Seagate HD

Hi there clearing CMOS should work ok(small battery on motherboard take it out and leave for 1 minute)hope this helps...

do you want me to replace it? or jus take it out for a minute, and turn it on? Or just take it out for a minute.

Okay, another idea bites the dust. Im sorry guys, I removed the cmos and even replaced it as well, but all i get is a Error loading operating system.

YAY!!

Then I went to Best Buy and bought a 40 GB 7200 Maxtor HD, and guess what?!! NOTHING!!!

It wont even find dos, even after a boot disk, I've tried everything, including the hard drive from the computer in the other room.

I believe that the CPU or something, perhaps the bios, is just not wanting to accept any new hardware but what originally was in the computer.

Im doomed huh?

Dear all,
My pc cannot log in to windows, it goes to safe mode and when I pick up one option in safe mode, its run the drivers for while and back to restarst and go to safe mode again , I couldn't re format or repair the windows using cd XP becouse the HDD is SATA and when I run the instal cd XP progam didn't find any HDD partitions.
I tried using floppy disk to load SATA driver but the process of instalation freze for hour when read the SATA HDD.
Anyone can help? Thank u.

Okay, another idea bites the dust. Im sorry guys, I removed the cmos and even replaced it as well, but all i get is a Error loading operating system.

YAY!!

Then I went to Best Buy and bought a 40 GB 7200 Maxtor HD, and guess what?!! NOTHING!!!

It wont even find dos, even after a boot disk, I've tried everything, including the hard drive from the computer in the other room.

I believe that the CPU or something, perhaps the bios, is just not wanting to accept any new hardware but what originally was in the computer.

Im doomed huh?

Theres a few things you can try. in NO particular order.

1. Select LBA mode instead of CHS mode in the CMOS
2. Get the software calle "XP boot", i think they have it at bootdisk.com and run fdisk /mbr and killed the master boot record.
3. www.killdisk.com wipe your computr and reset everything to 0

:rolleyes:

Hi you all !!
I added more memory to my pc , after rebooting it, an
error loading operating system sign appeared I put everything back as before, I have spent so many hours trying to fix it, I just can't could anyone tell me what to do please?
:sad:

ok here i am i tried to upgrade to win xp... didn't work so now i tried to re install windows 2000 professional and i keep getting the same message, "error loading operating system"

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Ok, its been about 2 years now and no one seems to be able to pin-point the exact cause of the problem. I have got the same message everytime i try and start up my PC, i am using the othe rone in my house to write this message. What happens is I will push that magic button to start it up, and the bar will opo up and load all the way, then it take me to a black screen with the only words "eroor loading operating system". I havent installed/uninstalled anything, the only thing ive been doing is playing Age of Empires online and i sriously doubt the problem has anything to do with that. My brother, who the computer belongs to, downloads countless songs from limewire and i was wondeing if those files from the songs could have contained anything to make my comp do this.

OS specs:
Dell Dimension 8250 Series
Intel Pentium 4 Processor: 2.66 GHz
Bios version: A01
Level 2 Cache: 512 kb

-And one question. Is it possible for a hacker to do something like this to your system?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.