hi im new here.. can anybody help me on how to save a disk space on my hard disk? because i dont know which program i must to delete to save at least 10% of my disk space.. im using windows vista and my hard drive is 120GB it is nearly to become full,,

any suggestion will be appreciated!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

you can use disk cleanup (an app that comes with windows OS)

There are a number of different file categories that Disk Cleanup targets when performing the initial disk analysis:

-Compression of old files
-Temporary Internet files
-Temporary Windows file
-Downloaded Program files
-Recycle Bin
-Removal of unused applications or optional Windows components
-Setup Log files
-Offline files

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Cleanup

hey there,

As your question is kind of general, in addition to using disk cleanup you may:
1. Try compressing files.
2. You may delete any of the files you have stored in your system by yourself(like movies,music etc.) or take a backup of these on some dvd or an external drive.
3. Don't delete any of the system files or application program files just uninstall the application programs you don't need or use.

You have more questions i would be happy to answer but give details.

Anirudh

Hi, I,m also new here and a bit of a computer 'biff'.

I have followed Anirudh's advice, but for point 3. to work I need to identify which application progs I don't need or use. As most of the names mean v.little to me is there a means of establishing when a program was last used?

Cheers CeeB

If you go into your control panel and click on "Add remove programs" or "Programs and features" depending on what type of version you are using. Than it should pull up all of the programs that you currently have installed. Look at the bar that has like "Name" "Publisher" and what not on there you should see a block that says "Last used on" or something similar if not than right click on the bar if it is in the list that appears than select it if not there should be one that says "more.." than a list of all the passable blocks will appear than you can select it from there.

If you go into your control panel and click on "Add remove programs" or "Programs and features" depending on what type of version you are using. Than it should pull up all of the programs that you currently have installed. Look at the bar that has like "Name" "Publisher" and what not on there you should see a block that says "Last used on" or something similar if not than right click on the bar if it is in the list that appears than select it if not there should be one that says "more.." than a list of all the passable blocks will appear than you can select it from there.

Thanks Rallici - spot on!
What I had not figured was the right click on the bar to open up "more"

I now have the 'last used' date and how frequently a prog is used, so am happy to start deleting.
Cheers
CeeB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.