C:\windows\system32\umxsbxexw.dll is either not designed to runon windows or it contains an error. try installing the original program again using the originalinstallation media or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support. How do i post a thread and where do i post it everytime i come into your site yolu change it and make it more difficult to get around i need to know how to gewt rid of this warning that keeps comeing up on my laptop what does it mean?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Unless I am mistaken that is a virus dll that should be removed.

Naw. It's part of a Computer Associates firewall or AV service. Try uninstalling it, then reinstalling. Or just get a free AV/firewall package.

Perhaps not. But, UmxSbxExw.dll...
"User mode executive module helper DLL"
Publisher (Verified) CA
Entry path: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Appinit_Dlls
Entry name: UmxSbxExw.dll
Program path & name: "c:\windows\system32\umxsbxexw.dll"
Product Version info:- Host Intrusion Prevention System, File Version 6.0.2.87 Copyright (c) 2006 CA
Perhaps the OP uses another, rebranded version - eTrust, Tiny Software, or a different CA component. The web is full of problems with it that arise after the installation of some other software. I think the practical solution is to totally remove and then reinstall the AV service.
I'm not even gunna ask what a secondary AV service is.

I do agree with Gerbil that removing and reinstalling should correct the issue however you need to make sure that it removes (or you remove if it doesn't during the uninstall) the UmxSbxExw.dll before you reinstall.

Gerbil is right and I was wrong about it being part of CA. It is in CA Security Suite and I am running an older version I received from my ISP a few years ago. It auto renews every day for another year but is old which is why it is my secondary anti-virus. By secondary I mean it is installed and updated but not resident. I use it to scan anything I am suspicious of and every now and then ( 1 in 150 +-) it will hit on something my Symantec misses. One is still one I don't need and it accessing files kicks the Symantec auto protect into play which catches the other 149. Just one Windows system left (everything else is Linux) and I do a lot of data conversions and data/file recovery. But this has nothing to do with the thread so I will stop now......

Gotcha, rch... you're using it as an on-demand scanner. I don't know the CA product now, so I don't know how that works... but as long as you don't have its services running, fine.
Interesting that installing new sware can damage that dll: there's a bug there somewhere.
That's another thing, ISPs and board manufs like to be a final solution for subscribers/buyers, and so a lot of them do offer a rebadged AV service from one of the majors. That is how I first came into contact with CA - a free offering with a mb.
Malware writers I think have to be very careful about not using a filename that is part of an AV service. One thing a good AV does is be very protective of itself; any unauthorized alteration and... WHINGE.

the computer did not have AVG when the alarm first appeared?

Leonie, so that we may see what we are dealing with, could you do this, please?
Hijackthis - download the executable file from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php
- unzip if necessary; copy hijackthis.exe to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop.
Start Hijackthis via the desktop icon or by dclicking hijackthis.exe.
- CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
- click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

ok that did not work it is still comming up on computer restart

I'm not surprised, Leonie. :) .... that scan only searches and lists vulnerable areas, by itself it makes no alterations. I need to see that logfile it produced - it likely will be in the folder in which you saved hijackthis.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.