Hi - quick question, if I have Windows XP 32bit running on a computer can you upgrade to Windows 7 64bit Ultimate just by buying the Upgrade package from a site? Or do you need, say a basic version of Windows 7 before you upgrade?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

You can upgrade from XP just fine

You can upgrade from XP just fine

Cheers :D

Sorry - not true.
Windows 7 is build on top of vista core. XP have a very different core, incompatible with Vista and 7.
You can migrate settings and personal files from XP, but not upgrade.
The upgrade package is for lesser versions of 7, or windows vista.

You can easily do this. Just purchase the version and install it.

I already done the same. And This is working fine for me and my many friends.

So just purchase and have fun with Windows 7.

The other tthing that no one noticed, you will only be able to install windows 7 64bit if you have a 64bit CPU. You cannot install windows 7 64bit on a system that has a 32bit CPU.

You need to know exactly what CPU you have before getting windows 7 64bit!

also not mentioned is if the winxp machine is old enough you may not get win7 drivers for smome hardware ,like sound /video /printers ect ect .

as stated already the word upgrade cannot be used when going from winxp to win7, you have to do a full install ,removing winxp and all software /formatting hdd

Hi - another question here guys - some people have said you can't upgrade from XP to 7 others have said that you can. Which is really true? I decided to consult the Microsoft site and there is a page that is titled "Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7." Evidently this must mean that you can upgrade from XP to 7.

Perhaps Im getting the wrong end of the stick - you can migrate files but not programs and whatnot - which would be preserved through an upgrade? Is that correct?
As regards to which version to run - the windows I have would be running through bootcamp on a Mac which, after some research, is capable of running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

Btw doe anyone know if installing Windows 7 through bootcamp would mean having to backup all files and programs installed on the Mac OS partition?

Cheers

Hi Katana24
Sorry about the confusion, but "upgrading" from XP to windows 7, translates to "buy a windows 7" license, and use the migration tool to get documents and desktop to the new OS.
An upgrade license (which is cheaper) is only available for Vista owners.
It is both a matter of license, and compatibility with installed programs, as you have discovered.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-considerations.aspx

Check the above link. Use the upgrade advisor download to see if there are any issues with your hardware. The chart on the above page shows the upgrade paths. Notice that for XP it is 'custom'. You can use an upgrade version, there is no need to buy a full version, but you have to do a custom install which will do a new install of Windows 7 . There's also a link for more details on installing on the above site.

Hope that helps to clarify.

Like Rik said, "Upgrade" only works 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit.

XP qualifies for upgrade from the licensing standpoint ... but clean install (if your hardware is compatible) is the best way to get a stable machine. Run the upgrade advisor from Microsoft to check the hardware.

the fact that you are using a mac and plan to upgrade winxp thats already on the Mac,i think you should be asking your question on Mac forum .good luck'

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/

Hi - quick question, if I have Windows XP 32bit running on a computer can you upgrade to Windows 7 64bit Ultimate just by buying the Upgrade package from a site? Or do you need, say a basic version of Windows 7 before you upgrade?

ya u can upgrade from xp to window 7.but you need to have win 7 cd,while booting chose upgrade option.

clik on the link in my signature ,click how to upgrade under win7

you can upgrade 100% if your PC SPECS passed the system req. for win7...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.