i JUST REINSTALLED WINDOWS XP ON A DELL DIMENSION 4700 AND HAVE NOY BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY SOUND.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Have you tried getting the audio driver from the Dell website?

Most probably its the sound driver that is not install. I am sure the Dell computer come with a drivers CD for all the on board device. You can install from there. If not you can go to Dell website to download,

Most probably its the sound driver that is not install. I am sure the Dell computer come with a drivers CD for all the on board device. You can install from there. If not you can go to Dell website to download,

I've tried installing and reinstalling the driver. I found out that it wasn't configured correctly. How do you configure the multimedia audio controller?

I've tried installing and reinstalling the driver. I found out that it wasn't configured correctly. How do you configure the multimedia audio controller?

Problem solved. After hours of trying to figure it out on my own, I ran across this software that scanned my computer and found all the drivers that needed updating and downloaded them for me. I was then able to install all the latest driver updates. If anyone is interested you can get it at www.smarttweak.com for $9.95. I could have saved many hours of frustration if I had found it earlier.

You could have saved 9.95 if you had listened to the chaps above. And Driver Detective is free. But you got the job done, and sometimes life is easier if you can ignore the internals of these pesty machines.

You could have saved 9.95 if you had listened to the chaps above. And Driver Detective is free. But you got the job done, and sometimes life is easier if you can ignore the internals of these pesty machines.

Sorry Dani. I was truly frustrated and at my wits end. I do appreciate this forum and everyone's willingness to help. I did check out Driver detective though and it will do a free scan and let you know which driver that you need but if you want the registered version that will find and download it for you it'll cost you 29.95 for a one year license.

Evererest Home Edition will identify your audio hardware and is absolutely free to use!

Ah, yes, but you don't need the registered version of DD. All that does [which is a help to some, I guess] is download and then run the installer package automatically. The free version will download the file for you, you just have to run it yourself which is easy as can be.
Rik, give siw.exe a shot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.