I have a problem with Windows XP Pro Internet Explorer that I can't solve. When on line with IE, it will change my Windows Explorer display format from the "List" file display to the "Tiles" display. At the same time my IE Encoding will be changed from Western European (Windows) to Western European (ISO). If I manually change the Encoding back to Western European (Windows), the Windows Explorer display will remain in the "List" mode until I change to a web site that changes my Encoding back to (ISO). Another symptom is advertising boxes often display the "Action Canceled" message rather than the ad.

I have tried resetting every selection I can find and have removed IE and all its directories and reloaded, but the problem remains. There must be a settings file or registery setting that retains IE's settings. I've had the problem for some time and don't remember when it started. I run the same setup on other computers with no problems.

Help!
Snead

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hello can someone please help l am getting a
error loading c:\winnt\system32\bridge.dll
the specific module could not be found:cry: please help

hello can someone please help l am getting a
error loading c:\winnt\system32\bridge.dll

Do a Fourm search on bridge dll ,and then start by creating a new Thread ,this one is started by someone else with a different problem .

I have a problem with Windows XP Pro Internet Explorer that I can't solve. When on line with IE, it will change my Windows Explorer display format from the "List" file display to the "Tiles" display. At the same time my IE Encoding will be changed from Western European (Windows) to Western European (ISO). If I manually change the Encoding back to Western European (Windows), the Windows Explorer display will remain in the "List" mode until I change to a web site that changes my Encoding back to (ISO). Another symptom is advertising boxes often display the "Action Canceled" message rather than the ad.

I have tried resetting every selection I can find and have removed IE and all its directories and reloaded, but the problem remains. There must be a settings file or registery setting that retains IE's settings. I've had the problem for some time and don't remember when it started. I run the same setup on other computers with no problems.

Help!
Snead

Might i suggest Ad-Aware ,your problem could be Adware releated .
Download the latest version of Ad-Aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

After installing AAW, and before running the program, you NEED to FIRST update the reference file following these instructions. http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/updref/index.html

Now do the following:

- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Press "Scan Now"

- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:

Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys.
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"

Now press "Next" again.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.

Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.
That ought to get rid of most of your spyware.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do run AdAware 6 with the updates but the problem continues.

Snead

I have a very similar problem with the encoding language. I run Adaware and Spybot as well as antivirus software. There must be a solution!

Might i suggest Ad-Aware ,your problem could be Adware releated .
Download the latest version of Ad-Aware at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

After installing AAW, and before running the program, you NEED to FIRST update the reference file following these instructions. http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/updref/index.html

Now do the following:

- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

- Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Press "Scan Now"

- Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
- Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
- Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
- Select the active partition which is usually C:

Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys.
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"

Now press "Next" again.
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.

Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.
That ought to get rid of most of your spyware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.