i would like to upgrade to windows seven, i have been told however that i would first have to upgrade to windows xp sp2, and then go onto windows seven. could someone please confirm that this is the case.will be grateful for any advice. thank you. sonya

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

If your computer has windows 2000 on it I very much doubt it is capable of running windows 7. What spec is it?

..yeah right..you must first your specs in your computer before installing windows 7..Windows 7 is a heavy operating system that needs big specs..give us your specs..

Agree to Rik from RCE... Your spec is important for windows 7 whr it wont support for min spec... before installing upgrade your system

i would like to upgrade to windows seven, i have been told however that i would first have to upgrade to windows xp sp2, and then go onto windows seven. could someone please confirm that this is the case.will be grateful for any advice. thank you. sonya

aside from needing more of everything to run win7 ,you do not need to upgrade to winxp sp2 ,you can go right to win7 but you will need to do a fresh install loosing all of you 2000 programs and such so you will have to backup first, check links in my signature,on how to install and also download the win7 adviser it will tell you if you the specs to run win7

You need to first check if your computer meets at least the minimum System Requirements for Windows 7.

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

If it does then you will need to run a clean install of Windows 7. It is not true that you need to upgrade to Windows XP. There is no upgrade path from Win XP to Win 7. The only OS that you can upgrade from is Win Vista. I suggest you visit the Microsoft website and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor (I'm not sure if it's available for Win2K though.)

your father has show

thats it ,thats the answer .

If, as others noted, your system is adequate to run Win7, then you can install it. However, you cannot directly upgrade from Win2K to Win7. The best advice is to backup your data to an external drive, and then install Win7 from scratch, and updated versions of your applications if necessary. If it were me, I'd forget that and install Linux (some user friendly version such as Linux Mint). It will be cheaper, more reliable, not as prone to virus infections by a huge margin, and faster. That is one good way to breath new life into older systems. To replace MS Office, install Libre Office. To replace Photoshop, either install Wine and Photoshop on that to run in Linux directly, or install Gimp. There are numerous email clients, as well as all the usual web browser, video player, and other tools as well. And as I said, the price is right!

since February the original poster has not returned ,wonder why

Yup, he have not log in since then. Maybe he solved his problem, pretty unlikely otherwise he would not have come to daniweb for help or he just neglect his problem. Which one is more possible

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.