We have a 3 year old HP computer w/XP SP3 installed, an AMD processor, 1 gig RAM and 10 gig harddrive. We started getting the BSOD this past year every few days. It's increased to about 3 times a day. I know this has been covered before, but could someone tell me the latest, greatest overall solution? I've run anti-everything, Glary utilities, defragged the harddive and registry, removed all superfulous software, even gutted the start-up menu to only 7 items. Nothing's helped so far. What else should I be doing (besides getting a new computer which we can't afford at the moment)
Ed

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

it's only 3 years old with a 10gig HDD? aside from that, what is going on when it BSODs?

don't take this the wrong way, but the things you've done are cosmetic at best. to save that computer, i'd recommend getting a larger HDD (160gb can be had for $40) and reinstalling windows. if you experience any issues after that, it's probably the RAM. or maybe something else plugged into the computer (PCI/AGP/PCIe slot). or could be something else on the motherboard. try to visually inspect it for defects; leaking or domed capacitors (the small cylinders that stick up out of the board) are the most salient defect you might find.

I know this gets a lot of currency on computer forums, but I really don't recall ever seeing a physically leaking modern capacitor, electrolytic or otherwise, and I once was an electronics engineer before I saw the light. A leaking capacitor is simply one that leaks electrically... they just do not have fluid in them. Exploded or obscenely bulging and blackened after a severe overload, yes, but they died in company. Examining a mb is interesting, they are a form of modern installation art, but don't expect to see deficiency on a working mb. Anyway...
Before you get your next BSOD, go CP > System > Advanced tab, Startup n Recovery Settings, and uncheck Automatically Restart.
Fine, when next it blue screens you will be able to give us an error code and perhaps the name of a faulting module. Then we can go places.
By the way, how much free space is on that drive...?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.