ok guys i really hope someone knows the answer, i will be so grateful...

we just re-formatted our hd

all the data was stored on dvd's (as data) using nero 6. music was stored on 2 disks,and work fine.. all other data including programme files, photos, word documents etc were stored on other dvd's..

ok so here's the problem...

programme install files - none of them work anymore - when i click on the set up icon a dos window pops up mometarily but doesnt appear to do anything

photos - when exploring the disk there are no thumbnail previews, just image icons - when i click on properties it says they are jpeg's and the size of the file - when i try to preview the pic using any image viewer a message appears "unable to preview image" also photos wont open in the programme i normally use to edit

word douments - these are displayed in some kind of code and dont show any text or graphics contained within them, same thing with all office files

we have tried to uninstall/reinstall all the software with no success

some data was also burned to a cd rom and all the data here works fine inc. pics, progs and word docs...

i really hope someone can help me because it appears that although i have all the data i cant access precious photos

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am not sure I am understanding the problem here. You downloaded the files from the DVD, to your hard drive, and now nothing works? Do you have the programs that these programs are supposed to be associated with installed on the computer?

ok guys i really hope someone knows the answer, i will be so grateful...

we just re-formatted our hd

all the data was stored on dvd's (as data) using nero 6. music was stored on 2 disks,and work fine.. all other data including programme files, photos, word documents etc were stored on other dvd's..

ok so here's the problem...

programme install files - none of them work anymore - when i click on the set up icon a dos window pops up mometarily but doesnt appear to do anything

photos - when exploring the disk there are no thumbnail previews, just image icons - when i click on properties it says they are jpeg's and the size of the file - when i try to preview the pic using any image viewer a message appears "unable to preview image" also photos wont open in the programme i normally use to edit

word douments - these are displayed in some kind of code and dont show any text or graphics contained within them, same thing with all office files

we have tried to uninstall/reinstall all the software with no success

some data was also burned to a cd rom and all the data here works fine inc. pics, progs and word docs...

i really hope someone can help me because it appears that although i have all the data i cant access precious photos

In order for the programs to work they must be taken off the DVD. If this is not done already, i would think that that is your problem.

-T

hi, and yeh, the programs are installed, ie, word and photosuite

hi tayspen, yeh, we transferred the data from the disk to the drive. Nothing works either on the drive or from the disk

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.