Hello,

I stupidly terminated 'Windows Logon Application' using TuneUp Process Manager. And as expected, I cannot login using any account. I already tried Startup Recovery, rebooting in safe mode. etc But still, error message appears in login screen

I opened the registry files, went to ProfileList and I noticed only 3 components are present. (no more S-1-5-21) Im really confused. I haven't backed up my data and I needed them badly. I cant afford to reformat the whole storage.

Is there any way to enable 'Windows Logon Application' through cmd maybe? Or should I delete Tuneup, expecting everything will be back in its default stage. Or is there any way to restore the default setting of startup processes? What should I do???

I BADLY need help!!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I could use some more information - when you say "Tune Up Process Manager" are you referring to the Performance Troubleshooter? Or is this a third party application?

Thanks!

/David C.

A couple of things --
Can you boot to a last known good configuration? (Try first)
Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Del twice (two times) to see if you can start the logon manager (sometimes this will work)?

As an aside --
Backups aren't just important, they are essential before using tweakers.
Tweakers can provide a GUI to those who really know what they are doing, but they can get others in real trouble.

This looks like it might help if you have access to the registry, here is the source:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/userinit-logon-application-has-stopped-working/f0386a8a-83e1-4cab-bc39-b1b03e8ab29b

Welcome to Microsoft Vista Answers Forum!
This issue occurs if the Userinit key in the Windows registry has been modified. For example, this issue may occur if the Userinit key has a value but no binary data.
Steps I would suggest are:
Boot the computer in safe mode and try making these changes in registry:

Important: The instructions below contain steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
1. How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

i. Log on to the computer as an administrator or by using an account that has administrative permissions.
ii. Start Registry Editor. To do this, click Start Collapse this imageExpand , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
iii. Click Continue.
iv. Locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
v. In the right pane, right-click Userinit, and then click Modify.
vi. In the Value data box, type hard disk:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, and then click OK.
Note The hard disk placeholder refers to the disk on which Windows Vista is installed.
vii. Close Registry Editor.
Link to refer: When you try to log on to a Windows Vista-based computer, you briefly receive a "Welcome" message, and then you are logged off http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929825 If you are unable to boot the computer in safe mode then boot from Vista DVD and open registry editor window from Command prompt. Follow the steps
i. Insert the Windows VistaDVD, and then restart the computer.
ii. When you receive the following message, press any key:
Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
iii. Set the following preferences, and then click Next:
o Language to install
o Time and currency format
o Keyboard or input method
iv. Click Repair your computer, select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
v. In the recovery option select Command prompt
vi. In the Command Prompt type in Notepad
vii. In Notepad click on File, Select Open
viii. Select C:drive
ix. Select All Files
x. Select Windows select regedit
xi. Right click on regedit and select open
Back up the registry and follow the step 1
Hope this information is helpful.
Let me know if this worked.
All the best!

Simplest woud be to go to advanced repair options and run system restore. You can also run system restore from a CD. Restore your system to a date before you run Tuneup and all should be OK. Do not use this kind of tools, they usually dont help at all.

Thanks everyone! I was able to fix it without data loss. :D

Nice!! Can you post the fix so it may help someone else in the same position?

Because I wasn't able to boot in safe mode, I just followed this step.

i. Insert the Windows VistaDVD, and then restart the computer.
ii. When you receive the following message, press any key:
Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
iii. Set the following preferences, and then click Next:
o Language to install
o Time and currency format
o Keyboard or input method
iv. Click Repair your computer, select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
v. In the recovery option select Command prompt
vi. In the Command Prompt type in Notepad
vii. In Notepad click on File, Select Open
viii. Select C:drive
ix. Select All Files
x. Select Windows select regedit
xi. Right click on regedit and select open

Lucky me, my third party applications were installed in another drive. :)

Thanks for your help, it worked for me also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.