Hello

I'm having problems with my laptop running XP SP3. I get blue screens of death with the message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and reference to tosdvdnt.sys. Now, I've searched for this file on my hard drive and online cannot find anything for it.

I took a picture of my screen when this error occurred.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/inwinter/media/DSC_0713.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

There is a possibility that you have malware! What protective software do you have?

Hi

I use COMODO firewall and AVG anti virus. I've done a scan with HijackThis which din't find anything. I can't seem to locate the file in question....

So, you don't have an antimalware program then? Download mbam - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php update it, and do a full scan with it.
If you can't log on in normal mode then press F8 as windows begins to load and choose safe mode with networking and you will be able to downloaded it provided your computer is connected via cable rather than wireless.

Just an update - here's the log for mbam for reference

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6209

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

mbam-log-2011-03-30 (02-00-05).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 228470
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 37 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\program files\Foxmail\3rdParty\PunyLib.dll (Adware.CNNIC) -> No action taken.
c:\program files\Foxmail\new folder\3rdParty\PunyLib.dll (Adware.CNNIC) -> No action taken.
c:\windows\system32\ntlanu32.dll (Spyware.EliteKeylogger) -> No action taken.
c:\windows\system32\mtxx86.dll (Spyware.EliteKeylogger) -> No action taken.
c:\windows\system32\netssvr.exe (Spyware.EliteKeylogger) -> No action taken.
c:\windows\system32\drivers\tosdvdnt.sys (Spyware.EliteKeylogger) -> No action taken.
c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbex.sys (Spyware.EliteKeylogger) -> No action taken.
c:\windows\system32\drivers\scsipo2k.sys (Spyware.EliteKeylogger) -> No action taken.

Offending files deleted and all seems to be well now! Thanks for the help.

BSOD problem mostly is cpu, ram or video card please that hardware......

The BSOD problem has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with hardware. It was caused by tosdvdnt.sys which is a part of Spyware.EliteKeylogger which is malware.
@ Benmar, if you had bothered to look at the Mbam log you would have seen the problem instead of just guessing.

@ inwinter, have you used your computer to do any kind of online banking? Including the use of any accounts like paypal? If so, you need to change your passwords by phone as soon as possible. It is most likeley that the author of the keylogger you were infected with will now have all of your passwords!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.