I was looking at building and desinging people there own websites. But when I was thining about it... they would / or I would have to upload it to a server well... what if they dont want to or know how to or want cheaper rates.... well why dont I just build a server and get more $$$...

But I have never built a server before. I have thought about a home one but figured it was not worth the money at the time.

I was on newegg and was "building" a server but came to think of well, what do I need...

Please help...

I would like to have the server running many websites as well. Like 10-50-100 most to all of them being small sites -- 5-10 pages each.

I heard you can change the ip adress to have many sites on one server...can you just change them for even 100 sites? Is it fairly easy to change the ips adresses for them?

Mainly my question is finding a mobo and cpu. Running that many sites, what is my best option? How much memory should it have, what clock speed of cpu's / how many cores, what all should I look for. I found this case and is mainly the one I would like to use. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811182566

Plus I only have buckeye cable for an internet provider (it might be local if you have not heard of it, but is this fine to use if 50 websites are up and visiters are trying to acress each one?

Realistically if I get 10 people sites built and up and running on my server I will probly start to do 1U racks, each running 5 sites a piece give or take, but is this possible on my internet provider and etc....

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I did the math of the power usage as well... 10.64cents average per kw/h in ohio, 8760 hours (one year) .... thats 466$ is this profitable really? I mean do a ton of people like the idea of somone creating their site and then hosting it? I mean like $100 to build a 10 page basic site and $50 to host each year, then I have to register the domain, like $10 and etc...

uhm. i would have to ask how many people are you going to actually host on this server. that is the answer to your server question.. and you need to have high bandwidth (make sure it is a high upload, not just down speeds)

but then you have to think
you are the administrator of this server. are you going to use microsofts iis, or maybe apache? what one do you know better?

now you are in charge of the security of this server. if that customer gets hacked, personal data is compromised, or lost for good, you are responsible.. if your site gets hacked, and someone embeds a virus on the site, you better have insurance and alot of hours available to deal with this mess.

there is alot of things to think about, but with a server - you need to have an idea of how many sites you are actually going to host.

also - for bandwidth, for the area that you are roughly going to need you can expect to spend 250+/- a month on a provider.

5 sites per server, from what i understand there are alot more packed onto servers.

why dont you look at one powerful server, i mean a real big beefy beast that costs you like 5-10k, then try virtualization?

PowerEdge R815
R815 Chassis for Up to Six 2.5 Inch Hard Drives edit
Processor
2x AMD Opteron™ 6128, 2.0GHz, 8C, 4M L2/12M L3, 1333Mhz Max Mem edit
Additional Processor
Upgrade to Four AMD Opteron™ 6128, 2.0GHz, 8C, 4M L2/12M L3, 1333Mhz Max Mem edit
Memory
64GB Memory (16x4GB), 1333MHz, Dual Ranked RDIMMs for 2 or 4 Processors edit
Operating System
No Operating System edit
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Licensing
None edit
Optional Virtualization Offerings
None edit
Secondary OS
None edit
OS Media kits
None edit
Enabled Virtualization
None edit
Hard Drive Configuration
RAID 5 for PERC H700 Controller (Non-Mixed Drives) edit
Internal Controller
PERC H700 Integrated RAID Controller, 1GB NV Cache edit
Hard Drives
1TB 7.2K RPM SATA 2.5in HotPlug Hard Drive edit
External Controller
None edit
Power Supply
1100 Watt Redundant Power Supply edit
Power Cords
NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power Cord edit
Embedded Management
iDRAC6 Express edit
Network Adapter
Intel® X520 DA 10GB, Dual Port SFP+,PCIe-8 NIC edit
Host Bus Adapter/Converged Network Adapter
None edit
Microsoft SQL Server
None edit
Client Access Licenses
None edit
Operating System Additions
None edit
Rails
No Rack Rail or Cable Management Arm edit
Bezel
PowerEdge R815 Bezel edit
Internal Optical Drive
DVD+/-RW, SATA, Internal edit
Server Accessories
None edit
Media
None edit
System Documentation
No Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit edit
Optional Documentation
None edit
Systems Management Upgrades
None edit
Operating System Partitions
None edit
Additional Software
None edit
Systems Management Consoles and Licenses
None edit
Flexible Client Solutions
None edit
BIOS Setting
Performance BIOS Setting

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.