I am new here and have a question and not sure where to post it. I found this because I was doing a serch for "AppData/Roming/Microsoft/Windows can't get rid of this tracking cookie what do I do?" I am in a dilemma and don't know what to do. I am not very computer savy. I need to say that up front, now here is my story. I have a new Dell computer only a few months old. I have McAfee and Super Anti- Spyware installed. My computer was makeing a clicking noise so I called customer support for Dell. The tec got on my computer via online and did some checks then said I had spyware and wanted to charge me $199.99 then said he would give me a deal for half. I am on a tight budget and paying off the computer so just can't afford it. So called Mcafee which said no spyware. However, when I run the Super Anti-Spyware it keeps showing the above listed tracking cookies. It prompts me to reboot to get rid of it but they won't go away. So I don't know if I have spyware or not but am afraid to do nothing. Somebody please advise because I don't know what to do! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Recommended Answers

All 37 Replies

Some current trojans are very hard to eliminate because they infect the boot sector of the disc. I have also seen some infect the restore partition libraries, so even if you reinstall the operating system, it will still be infected. This is why I recommend using Linux, and run Windows inside a virtual machine if you must have Windows software.

Some current trojans are very hard to eliminate because they infect the boot sector of the disc. I have also seen some infect the restore partition libraries, so even if you reinstall the operating system, it will still be infected. This is why I recommend using Linux, and run Windows inside a virtual machine if you must have Windows software.

sound advice but not everyone wants to use linux

I am new here and have a question and not sure where to post it. I found this because I was doing a serch for "AppData/Roming/Microsoft/Windows can't get rid of this tracking cookie what do I do?" I am in a dilemma and don't know what to do. I am not very computer savy. I need to say that up front, now here is my story. I have a new Dell computer only a few months old. I have McAfee and Super Anti- Spyware installed. My computer was makeing a clicking noise so I called customer support for Dell. The tec got on my computer via online and did some checks then said I had spyware and wanted to charge me $199.99 then said he would give me a deal for half. I am on a tight budget and paying off the computer so just can't afford it. So called Mcafee which said no spyware. However, when I run the Super Anti-Spyware it keeps showing the above listed tracking cookies. It prompts me to reboot to get rid of it but they won't go away. So I don't know if I have spyware or not but am afraid to do nothing. Somebody please advise because I don't know what to do! Thanks in advance for any help!!

hi i will redirect you to the great helpers in the viruses and spyware and other nasties ,check out the second read-me post at the top of the page for first time instruction and great free help,anyone who wants to charge $199.00 is a scammer in my opinion ,good luck
http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/viruses-spyware-and-other-nasties/64

Tracking cookies can be used to track your surfing habits, and are usually obtained on most commercial web sites, and any site with banner commercials.

If you want to get rid of them, you can run your "super anti spyware" in administrator mode (right click the icon, and select "run as admin", on the small menu).
And always remember to update your definitions before scanning. :)

But even if they are considered spyware, they are usually not malicious.

Thank you for the redirect, I am there and following the steps!!

Tracking cookies are actually pretty harmless. Agree with caperjack above, the person is most likely a scammer. You did not tell us any symptoms, thus it is hard to conclude it is a virus since your laptop is not behaving strangely. Go to the forum Caperjack posted. Good luck.

Charging $199 just to remove a possible spyware threat? It was way too much for a service and even with half-price deal, it's still expensive. It's like no difference from anti-virus scam which tell you that your computer has malicious virus whereas you don't have one in the first place.

Tracking cookies is common but not harmful. It is essential for fast browsing after you've open a web site for the first time but these traces sometimes can be picked up by hackers to steal your confidental document so some anti-virus/spyware marked it as dangerous and should be remove...

hello friend , first don't worry about this cookie, these are used for tracking Ur behavior on the net , now come to the point , first try to restore Ur system using msconfig command , and if restore doesn't work , try to uninstall Ur all antivirus/ spyware program and then install a avast (available free for trial mode but full functional) now schedule this for boot time scan , surly this will work for you.

hello friend , first don't worry about this cookie, these are used for tracking Ur behavior on the net , now come to the point , first try to restore Ur system using msconfig command , and if restore doesn't work , try to uninstall Ur all antivirus/ spyware program and then install a avast (available free for trial mode but full functional) now schedule this for boot time scan , surly this will work for you.[/QUOT

how does msconfig coommand restore your system ,i have never used it for that ,

I agree with Caperjack above. What has anti virus got to do with all these. Msconfig is for diagnostics, it has nothing to do with system restore.

Thank you all for your advise! I will follow the suggestions as I have read enough here to feel like I am getting good advise. I almost panicked and fell for what I now feel may have been a scam to get some money out of me. The red flag went up and I did not fall for it because the guy was so pushy. I am not very computer savy but know enough to know when people are trying to convince me something can't wait and has to be done immediately to be cautious. Especially when a high price is attached. I have already learned some good things just reading post on this web site. Thank goodness this poped up while I was searching for help!

hello friend , first don't worry about this cookie, these are used for tracking Ur behavior on the net , now come to the point , first try to restore Ur system using msconfig command , and if restore doesn't work , try to uninstall Ur all antivirus/ spyware program and then install a avast (available free for trial mode but full functional) now schedule this for boot time scan , surly this will work for you.[/QUOT

learn something new evry day ,now it makes me wonder was it always there ,if you go to tools in msconfig .you can run commands there for lots of windows features.

edit : just checked in winxp mode ,and the tools section is there also so i guess i just missed it all these yrs

how to use msconfig: first go to start menu and and click on run /or u can use shortcut command winkey+r run prompt will poped up now type msconfig and hit enter , now this is system configuration window , this is very powerfull , now go to tool tab and scroll down and use "system restore " option this will restore ur sustem to an earlier date where it was perfect.

how to use msconfig: first go to start menu and and click on run /or u can use shortcut command winkey+r run prompt will poped up now type msconfig and hit enter , now this is system configuration window , this is very powerfull , now go to tool tab and scroll down and use "system restore " option this will restore ur sustem to an earlier date where it was perfect.

thanks for that ,I never looked closely in the tool section all these yrs i guess ..

just want to say that some trojans/viruses will delete your restore points ,so this will not always work !

@caperjack
i know that , but try for one time , if this not works , go for avast antivirus this is the best one , works even it's data base is out of date , use boot time scan wit avast , if there is any virus this will detect . last option is formating system ,

@caperjack
i know that

im sure you do,as most of us know about Avast ,i was just posting it as added info to the thread

yep i have used when i was new to cs , at that time i faced many problem , some time drum beats from mu laptop, sometimes screen freezing etc , but this scans all

@caperjack
sorry friend

So, I am getting the impression Avast is the preferred virus protection here. I have Avast on my laptop but my desktop came with a free 1 year of McAfee so I left it there. So I take it the general consistence amoung a lot of you is Avast over McAfee. I also have Super Anti-Spyware which I love. McAffee tec support never questioned that one but it is interesting that they wanted me to remove Spyware Blaster. I was told it would cause conflicts with McAfee. That confused me because I thought the point of Spyware Blaster was to keep spyware from getting on your computer in the first place where McAfee scanned for junk already on the computer. So what am I misssing here? Anyway since I like Spyware Blaster blocking possible infections instead of dealing with them after they are there, on that point alone if it is not compatable with McAfee, maybe McAfee will have to go. I would live to hear everyone's expert opinion on this.

av uses there own shield ,and if u r using two surely they will conflict , don't remove McAfee , it gives all round protection , first try to remove spyware blaster, and then do a full scan , try to contact McAfee help and ask them for scanning Ur machine.
/try to run Ur window in safe mod, and check for the problem

no need to remove spyware blaster as it does not run in real time ,it just adds about 14000[keep it updated ] web address to IE browsers security section so IE doesnt get redirected to the known bad sites ,i have been using it for years now ,never any issue with it .
in my opinion mcafee is ok to leave on computer ,but would never buy it when there just as good [or better ] free ones

Something interesting that I am picking up here is that some of you have suggested system restore or as a last resort a clean reinstall. However, the Dell tec that was trying to sell me the spyware fix told me that you can't get rid of Spyware that way. Hmmmmm! Sounds to me more and more that I almost got scammed! Thanks again for all of the input. I have enjoyed reading all of the posts and opinions. I really have learned a lot some of it really interesting.

a system restore is not an effective way to get rid of spyware/malware/trojans ,most of the damage they do will remain ,so he was right .
if you want to check your computer for spyware ,download and run malwarebytes fix any thing it finds ,it will create a log ,you can copy paste it here .download below
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/download/faf2260570a753040d06fba3b4ddae95/

To do a quote just click on post reply. At the top left hand corner there will be the person name you want to quote and some numbers. Just delete the numbers the rest don't delete. Happy quoting;)

Seems like you already knew how to quote. Guess i was a bit late :D

Comodo antivirus, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the three recommended choice. Tips when selecting an antivirus product

1) Real time scanner. Not Manual Scanner. Real time scanner scan files that entered your comouter and downloaded form the internet
2) Quick and Efficient Scan
3) Able to clean up threats efficiently if not delete them securely.
4) Able to scan all file types including compress files

The rest here are maybe for paid version but sometimes free version also have these features.

1) Able to scan Mac and Linux virus as well not only Windows. This means your computer will also be protected from other OS threats.
2) Helpline or 24/7 support.

The rest of the features i forget. Sorry:$

You can try Microsoft Security Essentials if you want to.

Hi Caperjack, This is the scan log. I see no malware showed up, since several here has suggested this Anti-Malware scan it must one of the best. I do have a question about it. I notice they request that you purchase the product and enter a key code. So is it an effective scan even if you don't purchase it? Is it a necessary purchase?

OOPS! forgot to past the log here it is:
Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 297429
Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 27 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Thanks Jingda! There are so many virus and spyware programs available buyable and free, to somebody that is not computer savy it is hard to know what is best. And I think you will agree everyone is out to get the best protection that they can. There are some out there my son being one of them that feel the free ones can't be as good as the purchased ones just because they are free. It is also sad to me that we even have to worry about that. What a waste of talent for those that are smart enough to invent virus and spyware to be used for destruction. It seems those minds and talents could be put to great useful tasks. I just don't understand, I guess it is just the symptom of the world we live in today. Then there is the upside of finding a forum like this one where those of you use your talents to help us ignorant folk. It restors our faith in human kind!

I have seen that you posted in the virus, spyware and other nasties forum. If you have any virus problem, post there. Helpers there will help you.

--> notice they request that you purchase the product and enter a key code. So is it an effective scan even if you don't purchase it? Is it a necessary purchase?

Back to your questions. It depends on what software. Some software that are free are not very effective. Those effective products are the one mention here.

Comodo antivirus, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the three recommended choice. You can use Panda Cloud Antivirus to try it out if you want. All mention are free.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.