I am working on a laptop and the processor can support 64bit, but it is only 1.6Ghz (dual core). He said it has been running slow lately (I am sure it is mainly malware) but was trying to get him to put Linux like Ubuntu or Debian. (I am thinking about surprising him by putting Linux on there but how do I do the drivers (especially since there are SD card reader, webcam, etc.

But I may go and just install windows 7 back onto it. Which would be better; the 64-bit OS and 4GB or 32-bit and 3GB of ram? (I obviously know 4 is better than 3 but was wondering if the 64Bit puts more stress on the CPU, or something else, to make it not worth the extra GB).

Thanks for the advice!!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

If it can support 64-bit, then just use 64-bit install. but i think the processor was slow (from my opinion that is) so I would suggest installing 32-bit version. 4GB for 64-bit is normal and if you want to use 3GB on it is fine either...

Alas, I might be wrong about the processor...

I know the processor is slow, but that is not my problem (No virus protection or malware, ~hint~ ~hint~ why I think why its mainly slow). He usally only plays some small online games anyway.

Also, can someone help with my drivers issue for linux. What do/supposed to do?

Also, can someone help with my drivers issue for linux. What do/supposed to do?

use google.com and search for linux driver for each device you need drivers for linux .

also i think linux would be a shock to the owner not a surprise!
whows going to help them learn how to use it and enjoy it ?

Me... I am also his brother and winows is getting anoying with updates and the wat crap mainly because its "his" and doesn't like me on it.

I installed debian onto my desktop to see about it. And had a few questions.... The internet browser seems slow almost like its checking for a verification certificate from website (Google included), but one it starts to load the main content, it is pretty fast to load.

And another, I saw a site where you enter some text to the terminal and then the site will tell me what drivers are installed....but it says
"Yes" by a few and most are blank. Does this mean the driver is not installed for it? And some things have multiple listings that are blank (like the video I believe).

Thanks!!

32 bit and 3 Gb would be okay. You might want to do a malware scan with malwarebytes ( No harm doing it ). Intel Core 2 Duo is a bit slow, if want you can also upgrade the processor to maybe i5 or i7.

I would almost like to a fresh wipe; and this is an amd cpu not intel, anyway he does not need an i5 or i7 in a laptop.... (I think at a point it is too much in a laptop because they will have to many issues and higher costs)

32 Bit and 3GB is working well , i am telling this from my personal experience

I know it works well, mainly I would like to have more ram for him. I just did not know if the 64 bit os would make a cpu work any harder for no reason just to make the 1GB not worth it.

I know it works well, mainly I would like to have more ram for him. I just did not know if the 64 bit os would make a cpu work any harder for no reason just to make the 1GB not worth it.

my laptop is a Compaq G50 series ,cpu is a AMD Athlon duel core QL-60 1.9gHz,4gig ram .and it works grat for what i do ,internet and burning dvd's
i duel boot ,32 and 64 bit win7 ultimate ,,and for what ever reason im not sure the 64bit does work slower ,or at least it seems to ,i actually don't use the 64 bit that ofter .

my laptop is a Compaq G50 series ,cpu is a AMD Athlon duel core QL-60 1.9gHz,4gig ram .and it works grat for what i do ,internet and burning dvd's
i duel boot ,32 and 64 bit win7 ultimate ,,and for what ever reason im not sure the 64bit does work slower ,or at least it seems to ,i actually don't use the 64 bit that ofter .

Thanks for telling me about your situation. I had a feeling that 64-bit might, but I am not sure why either. If anyone can explain this in detail that would be great....

Thanks for telling me about your situation. I had a feeling that 64-bit might, but I am not sure why either. If anyone can explain this in detail that would be great....

after posting the last comment i ran the 64bit for a evening and it seemed to work ok actually

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.