My OS is Windows 2000 Professional and my computer is about a year or two old and i was wondering, would my copmuter be compatible with a graphics card?>?
i need advice or help

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

What kind of graphics card are you looking to put into it? Windows 2000 has come a long way with driver compatibility. Just post what you are looking to support and we'll let you know. :)

im probably going to get the Geforce 2 or radeon 7500......also when a copmuter game asks for t and l hardware....what does that mean......thank you for your help

your main concern should be motherboard compatibiltiy. do you have an agp slot? 2/4/8x? pci-e? or just pci. you can't just go out and buy hardware... you gota make sure its gona work in your box first. what kind of games are you looking to run, those old cards (gf2) prolly wont run many (or any) new gfx intensive games.

if you dont know what your internal hardware is we an help you with that... download pc wizzard 2006.

also...
T&L stands for Transformation and Lighting.

basicly this means your gfx card has to beable to take a 3d image and calculate its cordinates in a 2d world and also worry about lighting of the image.

Okay - It looks like borth cards you mentioned are compatible with Windows 2000, so either is okay (although I am more the fan of the GeForce2).

Proof is at:
ATI Radeon 7500
nVidia GeForce2

I will investigate the other question you asked and get back to you. :)

thank you everyone for responding, first of all Binary Mayhem i have no clue about the type of agp slots ( i dont know what it is and how can i find that out) and second, the whole point of me getting the graphics card is so i can play Civilization 4 game, ive been a fan since the first one and the previous ones luckly didnt need extra hardware and the new does so that is the main game. Also ROllercoaster tycoon 3, Age of empires 3 and empire earth 2 are the others ......well im done for now thank you for your response, ill be waiting for your next.....i appreciate it

one more thing what is up with your signature, im just curious because it doesnt make sense :)

thanks

thank you very much, and your sure my actual computer is compatible with graphics cards, its a Dell Optiplex GX150 with 1.2 ghz 259 Ram and i think thats it and if u need more info tell me and ill r\try to find it

if your gona play age of empires 3, you need to get a top of the line gfx card... or somewhere close to it, like a ati700pro or something. that game will suck the life out of a crappy gfx card, and WILL lag during huge battles.. esp ones that have lots of artillery.

one more thing what is up with your signature, im just curious because it doesnt make sense

thanks

are you reffering to my sig?

if your gona play age of empires 3, you need to get a top of the line gfx card... or somewhere close to it, like a ati700pro or something. that game will suck the life out of a crappy gfx card, and WILL lag during huge battles.. esp ones that have lots of artillery.

are you reffering to my sig?

yea i am referring to your sig, just curious...also do u think the gfx card would work with Civ 4 because thats my main focus

probably not very well, i would reccomend getting something a bit better.

yea i am referring to your sig, just curious...also do u think the gfx card would work with Civ 4 because thats my main focus

It's A joke .Read it slowly !!!and don't delete all the files on you computer ,yet wait 10 min!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.