I'm actually fine in the auto IP dept, but I wanted to look and see the set-up. When I tried to execute cmd from Run, but no deal. I got the requester that states this app is not suitable for DOS applications. I know that you can do this from some XP machines. Does this mean that maybe you can do this from XP Home and not XP Pro? I believe there's a release/renew command from Windows, but haven't located it yet. Any input appreciated.
Thanks, BuddyB

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

yea, its called ipconfig

start > run > cmd
type in ipconfig /all

that will list all the IP info
ipconfig /release -> will let the IP lease expire
ipconfig /renew -> will try to grab a new one from the dhcp server

Windows on my machine will not run the DOS box; says the op system is not suitable for running DOS; ideas?
Thanks, BuddyB

try from the run line "cmd /k ipconfig/release" "cmd /k ipconfig/renew" , now to do it from a giu, go to control panel, then go to networking, double click on the Lan connection to to support then details you can click repair which should do the release and renew.

I've tried all those commands and my system will not allow the DOS box; keep getting the error message, "System not compatible with DOS".
BuddyB

to get to a cmd prompt are you going to run then enter cmd, then enter the command. I can nor remember a XP machine where I could not do that.

When I go to run and type in "cmd" this is what the computer returns:
"C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MSDOS & Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application." Then I have the choice of 'Close' or 'Ignore'. Whichever I choose it closes the box.
Thanks, BuddyB

I can see where this would be good to utilize. I did no.1 and could find no system32. I downloaded xp_fix.exe and that didn't work. It didn't give me the return error, but the DOS box came up empty and then went away. On the Data Execution Prevention Error I went to AlwaysOff. The only change there is that now I come up with the DOS boot screen that gives you options if you're running multiple op systems.
BuddyB

I can see where this would be good to utilize. I did no.1 and could find no system32. I downloaded xp_fix.exe and that didn't work. It didn't give me the return error, but the DOS box came up empty and then went away

That is perfectly normal. What you have to do now is click start run cmd. Then type ipconfig and it will stay

. On the Data Execution Prevention Error I went to AlwaysOff. The only change there is that now I come up with the DOS boot screen that gives you options if you're running multiple op systems.
BuddyB

There was not need for the data execution prevention fix. That was for a different problem. For the DOS Boot screen that you now have click start choose run type in there msconfig and click Boot.Ini on the top. Then click Check all boot paths and click Y Yes then Ok and then Restart.

So now that you don't get the autoexec.nt error message anymore your problem should be solved. The window will not stay because ipconfig executes and terminates. You have to run it from inside cmd.

I know you're correct about this. However, I go to run, type in cmd, the DOS box comes up, but terminates before I can do anything. It also doesn't have any info in the box anywhere, and no blinking cursor to input from.
BuddyB

How about if you try command instead of cmd?

I have to say even if command works I think cmd was replaced by something else on your system. I would advise you to post a Hijackthis log in the Spyware and Virus Section

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.