Hi all,

I have a system running Windows XP. I've never had a computer do this to me, but what is happening is that it boots up ok and everything visibly looks ok, but when I go to click on an icon, it takes forever to load a program or open a folder, etc. Even if I go to open a task manager it takes forever (< 1 minute). I thought it may be an issue with the graphics card, so I pulled that, but that wasn't it. It runs fine in safe mode, so I'm not sure what that means. Task manager is showing that nothing is taking up CPU time.

Thanks,

Mike

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Can you boot into safe mode? Is it running in safe mode slows down your computer too?

Can you boot into safe mode? Is it running in safe mode slows down your computer too?

It boots into safe mode fine and it runs normally.

It could be something is wrong with driver...
Did you install new driver or new programs recently?

It could be something is wrong with driver...
Did you install new driver or new programs recently?

No. Is there a way to check if it is hanging on a driver issue?

Sorry for the late reply...
Yes there is...

Right-click my computer and select properties. Go to hardwre tab and click Device Manager... You could check if something is wrong with your hardware and/or driver

control panel /admin tools ,event viewer /check for system errors

control panel /admin tools ,event viewer /check for system errors

Plenty of disk errors with the following property:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

your welcome ,glad it worked for you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.