Member Avatar for WolfyB

My old laptop broke a while back and the hard drive was somewhat intact but just wouldn't boot. I now have a new desktop and bought a 2.5 IDE Hard Drive Enclosure so I could get all my info. However my old laptop user account was password protected, so now when I try to get into the folder it says "(Folder Path) is not accessible. Access Denied". I've looked around and found other people with the same problem, however theirs was solved by disabling simple file sharing and then taking ownership of the folder. I unfortunately cannot do this (to my knowledge) because I'm on XP Home Edition and even though it says you can reboot into safe mode and access it from there that didn't work for me either.

So I'm here asking for help. If anyone knows of a fix for this that would be great because I'm out of ideas and google is yielding few results. I have a LOT of music and crap on it and it would be awesome to get it back.

In case there aren't any ways you guys know of to fix this, I have one last idea. I have a reinstallation disc of XP Professional Service Pack 2. I was wondering if it would be possible to take that and replace my XP Home with it because then I could disable simple file sharing and thus take possession of the folder and solve my problem.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is the article I looked at in case you're interested.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Since your hard disk is in an enclosure and plug into a USB port. You can boot up by pressing certain key to boot from external device. If it can boot up from USB than the chance of saving your file is very high. All you need to do is to access to a computer that allow you to boot from external device. Hope this help.

Member Avatar for WolfyB

I don't think that is possible because the hard drive started going bad which is why I scrapped the laptop. It quit booting because the hard drive went corrupt in spots where there was OS files so its unbootable to my knowledge.

If the hard disk is of mechanical failure than the chances of recovering is close to impossible. If it is still readable than you may want to try some recovery software.

Member Avatar for WolfyB

The hard drive is definitely still readable. I was looking through and found the folder with all my files in it. The only thing wrong with it is that it can't boot. So does anyone know if I was doing anything wrong when trying the safe mode thing? Or any other ideas?

hi there,
From what i get do the following:
1. Get a GNU/Linux live cd (ubuntu will be fine)
2. Boot your desktop with it.
3. Connect your laptop hard drive to the system.
4. you will be able to access the files and folders on your laptop's hard drive.

In case you don't have any experience with GNU/Linux let me know, i will explain the process. Its quiet easy :).

Member Avatar for WolfyB

Thanks for trying jak0b but that didn't work :( I still can't see the option to disable simple file sharing and I tried it in normal and Safe mode.

As for the Ubuntu thing I would like to be able to access the hard drive whenever I want through Windows but if nothing else works I might have to use that as a last resort.

If the hard disk is still readable than it would be easy by just re install the Window without formatting the hard disk. Boot up the Window CD and after several screen when you come to EULA just press F8 and choose repair Window. It will delete the old Window and replace with new one without deleting any files.

Member Avatar for WolfyB

Actually I was able to get it working, however, I was not able to disable simple file sharing. Nevertheless I still took ownership of everything and got it all back so thanks jak0b.

Thanks to everyone else who helped.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.